• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Need help with a VIN # Bad!!! HELP!!

gotboost

contributor
Ok guys,

Don't flame me too badly for this, but I recently bought a '91 940 turbo with a bad motor. The seller claimed that he had just moved and that he couldn't find the title. Showed me his driver's license, the registration and the car insurance card and they all matched up, so I agreed to pay him then and there, and he promised to go to the DMV the next day and get an affidavit in leau of title and send it right off to me. Well we're going on 4 weeks now and I have no title. The guy won't respond to emails or phone calls (I've sent him over 15 emails at this point). I have a bill of sale from him, but that's not going to get me a title. The worst is that we've already swapped in a good motor and the car is back running great, but can't be driven due to the no title or registration issue. Does anybody on the forum have a carfax subscription that might be able to search the VIN and tell me what it says and who it says is the legal owner of the car? I'm just worried now that he sold me a car that wasn't his.

VIN # is: YV1JA8747M1007269

Go to the DMV, they can do a bonded title for cars w/o titles.

This is what I did for my $600 Daily drive 944, Typically it can take 1 month or two but is the best way to do something about it. You should of done this after day one of him not responding

1-2 months, you can get all kinds of Temporary Permits and papers to drive the car before you get the title, I wouldn't drop a ton of time and effort into the car before you have the title in hand as if anything fishy comes up you lose the car and $ you put into it.

It all depends on your state laws and how many hoops you have to jump through. Here in AZ it was pretty easy, make sure there is no Lien on the title, send out registered letters to the previous owner listed on the title and if they do not get you a title or report the car missing or stolen (having the bill of sale is a big plus to have here) then after 20 days or so the state will issue you a new title.

When you do this title request with your DMV. Get the bill of sale notarized that way it's a legal document.

Yeah, but if the guy won't respond to calls or emails, he's surely not going to go sign a new bill of sale in front of a notary, which is what I think would be required to give it any validity.

1-2 months, you can get all kinds of Temporary Permits and papers to drive the car before you get the title, I wouldn't drop a ton of time and effort into the car before you have the title in hand as if anything fishy comes up you lose the car and $ you put into it.

It all depends on your state laws and how many hoops you have to jump through. Here in AZ it was pretty easy, make sure there is no Lien on the title, send out registered letters to the previous owner listed on the title and if they do not get you a title or report the car missing or stolen (having the bill of sale is a big plus to have here) then after 20 days or so the state will issue you a new title.

I've gotta' get the ball rolling on this with the DMV. I appreciate your help man. Have already dropped a bunch of time/money into the car by doing a complete engine/tranny swap. Hopefully I don't get proper F**ked on this one. I know the name of the company the guy works for, and I'm half tempted to go in there and make a scene and cause problems for him in retaliation for this s*it!

**** him. Crash the car and jet. If it's still in his name, he's responsible for it. Unless you get caught.

Or...call him, tell him that you crashed it and because it's still in his name, he's responsible for it.

Oh man!!! You guys are evil!!! I like it!!!

Can anybody with Carfax let me know if he's at least the legal owner of the car? His name is Adam Stallings.

Since when does carfax slows the name of current and previous owners?

Never had the car owner do anything AFTER the money is exchange.

Well if you don't need it notarized then you need to get to the DMV. Tell them you bought this car without a title and they will tell you what they need to give you a title. The only way you won't be able to get a title for it is if there is a lien on it. You'll have to satisfy the lien before you can title it.

Yeah, the only way to find out PO information is via the DMV. Expect fees to find out though.. i think it's like $10, maybe $20. YMMV by state.. FYI, anyone can find out the history of any car out there via the DMV, for a moderate fee..

Aside from a lien, the PO can always claim the car and refuse to transfer ownership to you, if it's not that dude. Or worse, sue you for stealing the car. Careful here, you can actually get in a world of legal hot water if you're in possession of the car illegally, even if you were innocent of it. I'd recommend you find out the true PO before you attempt to register it, just to be safe.

Aside from a lien, the PO can always claim the car and refuse to transfer ownership to you, if it's not that dude. Or worse, sue you for stealing the car. Careful here, you can actually get in a world of legal hot water if you're in possession of the car illegally, even if you were innocent of it. I'd recommend you find out the true PO before you attempt to register it, just to be safe.

Eh, he has a bill of sale and a bit of a paper trail, go to the DMV and find out the previous owner, if it is stolen then worst case you lose the car and $, never heard of anything else happening from something like this. Cost like $3 to get the last owner's info

Eh, he has a bill of sale and a bit of a paper trail, go to the DMV and find out the previous owner, if it is stolen then worst case you lose the car and $, never heard of anything else happening from something like this. Cost like $3 to get the last owner's info

Yeah, I hope yer right! The reason i mentioned that was simply because a similar situation just happened to a friend and she now has a court date with a petty theft charge. I'm assuming this is very uncommon and probably not worth worrying about.

I'm certainly talkin CA DMV prices on owner's info.. :grrr:

Back story? always interesting to hear. Either way as long as you have your story straight and clear with a paper trail not really they can do to you.

Then again I did just recently deal with the court system and have to say it does fail logic a ton

Back