home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 09-21-2016, 10:27 AM   #1
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

Default 122 Brake issues

Ok, I've replaced the front calipers, rear wheel cylinders, and the master cylinder. I have bleed the brakes twice, and adjusted the rear drums, but I still have to double pump the brakes to get good pedal. Should I just need to keep bleeding the brakes until it feels right?

1965 122
Old 09-21-2016, 10:45 AM   #2
cwdodson88
Board Member

I had a similar issue when I just redid my rears. It took 2 rounds of bleeding, followed by a few laps around the block of pumping the brakes for everything in the rears to seat, then another round of bleeding. How much pump the first time? When I would first hit the brakes I had about 2.5-3" of pedal travel, then the 2nd pump would be more like 1.5-2". Now after a few days of driving, It's solid at 1.5-2".

The Build Thread
SVEA - PUSHROD TURBO!
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:53 AM   #3
planetman
Board Member

Is your car equipped with an original Girling or Lockheed hydraulic brake booster?

Air likes to get trapped in those units and it can be difficult to get the system bled properly.

Try bleeding at the booster brake outlet line and/or at the brake line junction block on the firewall below the heater box.
planetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:13 AM   #4
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdodson88 View Post
I had a similar issue when I just redid my rears. It took 2 rounds of bleeding, followed by a few laps around the block of pumping the brakes for everything in the rears to seat, then another round of bleeding. How much pump the first time? When I would first hit the brakes I had about 2.5-3" of pedal travel, then the 2nd pump would be more like 1.5-2". Now after a few days of driving, It's solid at 1.5-2".
I think this is what I'm going to have to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetman View Post
Is your car equipped with an original Girling or Lockheed hydraulic brake booster?

Air likes to get trapped in those units and it can be difficult to get the system bled properly.

Try bleeding at the booster brake outlet line and/or at the brake line junction block on the firewall below the heater box.
No brake booster. Just the master.
MikeJr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:18 AM   #5
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdodson88 View Post
then another round of bleeding.
Did you get much air the second time around?
Old 09-21-2016, 11:22 AM   #6
planetman
Board Member

Are the parking brake cables over adjusted?

If they are, the top of the brake shoes are being held away from the wheel cylinders which will cause a low pedal.

Try de-adjusting the parking brake cables until they are slack and then see if the rear brakes need more adjustment.
planetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:40 AM   #7
cwdodson88
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJr. View Post
Did you get much air the second time around?
Not really, some tiny bubbles. The first round was more or less just a gravity bleed while I drank a beer. Hooked up a clear tube to the bleeder that went into a bottle with some fluid in it, and cracked it open with the pedal at rest. Let it go until the master dropped below half and refilled, let it drop again to half and refilled, then pushed and held the pedal about 2" down and tightened the bleeder, pumped the brakes and did the other side. Then the 2nd round was a "push>crack>tighten>release" so pushing the pedal down and sticking a rod between the pedal and the seat, cracking the bleeder, then tightening the bleeder, and removing the rod to bring the pedal back to rest.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:41 AM   #8
cwdodson88
Board Member

Quote:
Try de-adjusting the parking brake cables until they are slack and then see if the rear brakes need more adjustment.
Had to do this too.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:42 AM   #9
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

Quote:
Are the parking brake cables over adjusted?

If they are, the top of the brake shoes are being held away from the wheel cylinders which will cause a low pedal.

You know you might be on to something. I did notice the e-brake was a little tight.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:36 PM   #10
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

I adjusted the e-brake and the rear brakes but it still feels about the same. I'm going to try a and bleed them again this weekend.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:40 AM   #11
beast
Board Member

Seem to recall something to do with the front / rear bias valve

1983 244DL
1967 122s (in pieces)
1973 164E (60K Miles)
beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 06:48 PM   #12
283SD
Board Member

New shoes, old drums?. Does the radii of the shoes match the drum? If the shoes are a smaller radii than the drum you are using pedal travel to bend them to the drum radii. It doesn't have to be much.
283SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 12:07 PM   #13
polaris
Mk V

As a data point: In 2003 or so picked up a 1966 122S on a whim for $200. Among its deferred maintenance issues was a brake pedal which needed a double pump for the brakes to be firm. over a weekend I went through the system several times bleeding, etc. with no success. A couple weeks later while driving across the city, discover to find the brakes work fine on the first pump. That is when I realized the hand brake had been left on. Later that day went under the car, adjusted the rear parking brakes and from then on the brakes worked fine.

Try driving with the hand brake on a couple clicks to see if the pedal feel changes, that should either point to or eliminate the rear parking brakes as the source.

polaris is offline   Reply With Quote