home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > article composition

Old 04-23-2017, 09:18 PM   #1
pat244ti

Default Basic tutorial - swapping an LH TPS onto a 960 throttle body

So before I got rid of these pictures from my phone forever, I figured I would post them for those who are wondering what is needed for this. I did a search on it and came up with nothing but upon further fiddling, it's pretty easy.

I bought a modded [by The Full Banana] B21F intake, set up with injector bungs and modified for a 960 throttle body. The stock 960 TPS, while ideal for it's variable signal for applications with Megasquirt or other aftermarket EMS, is not compatible with LH 2.2/2.4.

First, you need a 960 throttle body, LH TPS, a #30 dril bit, a M4 tap and some short M4 screws, washers and lock washers.

Take apart your throttle body and you will end up with a pile of parts like this. The screws holding the throttle plate to the shaft are T15 and usually on there pretty good, be careful.

Re insert the shaft [thats what she said], but with the threads facing up towards the inlet of the throttle body [she probably didnt say that.]

Mine was facing the other way, and this was to orient the connector for the TPS pointing towards the engine [stock]. With it set up like this on my manifold [modded B21F] this was absolutely necessary to make this work otherwise the TPS would hit the manifold. May or may not be for what you are using it for

So with the TPS on there, you can see from this side view there are little "posts" on the edge of the throttle body that line up perfect with the slots on the side of the TPS to bolt it on there. All you have to do is drill and tap those "posts" with the M4 tap as centered as possible. Than mount up the TPS and getting adjusted all nice

And the finished product

83 244ti - road race
79 262c - road race in the works
08 c30 T5 - daily recce car - M66, Lifted 1.5'', 215/65/16 Falken All Terrains on Method MR502's, iPD skid plate
97 Dodge Dakota 5.2 4x4
70 Ford F100 2WD 351M/C6

Last edited by pat244ti; 04-23-2017 at 09:45 PM..
pat244ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 02:12 PM   #2
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Old thread, somehow missed that it was there but I just went thru this route earlier in the year. If you look for the earlier 960 TB that includes the evap fittings on it, then you don't need to hassle with the stock evap plumbing, just connects right up. It is also already drilled but not tapped for the screws for the 2.4 TPS. Still have to flip the shaft over and all that, and I had to make a custom linkage arm to run on a 230 intake, but that allowed me to play with the ratio as well so it stayed the same ratio as stock, or perhaps just a touch slower so it wasn't so twitchy.
Pete Fluitman "fivehundred" 7/14/2013
Mick Starkey "TrickMick" 1/10/14
Mark Baldwin "blue850t5" 7/19/18
Nick Fengler "fengler" 8/6/18
Thomas Fritz "stealthfti" 10/11/18

74 144
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=224983
90 745Ti
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=334698

Still your local Superpro dealer!
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 07:48 PM   #3
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsellstr View Post
Old thread, somehow missed that it was there but I just went thru this route earlier in the year. If you look for the earlier 960 TB that includes the evap fittings on it, then you don't need to hassle with the stock evap plumbing, just connects right up. It is also already drilled but not tapped for the screws for the 2.4 TPS. Still have to flip the shaft over and all that, and I had to make a custom linkage arm to run on a 230 intake, but that allowed me to play with the ratio as well so it stayed the same ratio as stock, or perhaps just a touch slower so it wasn't so twitchy.
any pics of how you handled the modified linkage rod?

My XR July2013 - 446AWHP @ 8K rpm C30 AWD conversion 740 pickup thread Feedback Thread
lookforjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 02:23 PM   #4
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Only snapped one pic but it was really just a flat piece of plate with the ball end from a spare link welded to one end. I measured c-c from the shaft hole to the ball center on a stock 230 TB and added about 1/8" to slow it a touch.

gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 10:54 PM   #5
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsellstr View Post
Only snapped one pic but it was really just a flat piece of plate with the ball end from a spare link welded to one end. I measured c-c from the shaft hole to the ball center on a stock 230 TB and added about 1/8" to slow it a touch.

Thanks for the reference pic. I hadn't considered the lever extension to offset twitchy throttle caused by larger butterfly, good idea!
lookforjoe is offline   Reply With Quote