• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

242 Build

DavoS40

The project originally started out as a 245 then in 2003 I decided to switch to a 242. I've been working on it off and on when I'm home from school the past couple years. I'm just going to start off with the work that's taken place since springbreak 2005.

Engine:
B21FT
-align honed mains, decked for .030 squish
-2nd oversize stock pistons, balanced
-stock rods resized, cyrotreated, new hardware, balanced
-reground crank, balanced
-bmw oil piston squirters
-meling oil pump

Cylinder Head:
-398 SCP
-port & polished, unshrouded exhaust valves
-40mm exhaust valves, stock intake valves
-K cam

Turbo Setup:
-Holset HY35
-Powerstroke intercooler
-SS header from Jonathan(Stereophile33)
-XS RFL blow off valve
-3 inch exhaust (half of it from Doug's old car!)

Suspension/Brakes:
-front coilovers 315 lb springs
-rear coilovers 250lb springs
-revalved/shortened Bilsteins (towery's specs)
-Kaphlenke camber plates
-IPD adjustable torque rods
-adjustable panhard rod (homemade)
-poly bushings from Dale (245gti)
-new rotors, calipers, pads, ss lines, master cylinder, junction block

Driveline:
-93 Cobra T5 tranny
-Pro5.0 short shifter
-custom Spec stage 2+ clutch/pp (Volvo pp and clutch with the T5 spline)
-3 inch aluminum driveshaft

Fuel/Ignition:
-MS'nS
-EDIS with Ford coil pack
-Ford CFI injector's
-walbro pump

B21 block fresh from the machine shop
DSC01573.jpg

DSC01575.jpg

DSC01576.jpg

DSC01576.jpg

Notice the spots machined for the squirters
DSC01578.jpg

Sprayed the garage down with a hose to keep the dust down
DSC01582.jpg

DSC01586.jpg

Test fitting the squirters
DSC01594.jpg

DSC01596.jpg

DSC01597.jpg

rods, pistons, oil pump installed
DSC01691.jpg

DSC01697.jpg

finished short block
DSC01702.jpg

DSC01707.jpg

DSC01708.jpg

the light! (40mm exhaust valve)
DSC01772.jpg

seam welding
DSC01672.jpg

painted bay
DSC01717.jpg

preparing to drop in the motor
DSC01709.jpg

DSC01713.jpg

DSC01718.jpg

ready to go in
DSC01725.jpg

motor in, test fitting header with junk head
DSC01747.jpg

body still needs a lot of work
DSC06614.jpg

DSC06615.jpg

engine bay
DSC06627.jpg

DSC06628.jpg

DSC06626.jpg

The new motor has been run through 3 sessions of stealth's run in procedure. When I was almost finished with the 3rd session I blew a freeze plug. I wasn't sure if this was due to the coolant system getting pressurized from a slight leak in the headgasket or if the machine shop installed the freeze plugs incorrectly. The blown freeze plug was replaced with one of the rubber expandable plugs and the head gasket replaced. If another one blows the motor is coming out and all of the plugs are going to be replaced(JB will be involved). The motor did sound great and sounded really smooth after the 2nd session.
I'm heading back to Colorado tomorrow, so I won't see the car for a few months. The plan is to get a bunch of little parts needed while I'm away. Hopefully get the car painted over springbreak or the beginning of summer. Once the body is painted the 93 block cloth interior(that's sitting in the basement) is going in the car. Then a few test drives (I smell Missouri) and if all goes well it'll get registered.

OMG I wet myself!.. that is killer! good lighting on the engine bay pic's!

Last edited:
DOnt do anything to the outside!

SLEEPA POWA!

EDIT: I spy Eikers! What rubber are you gonna put on them?

Thanks for all the complements guys!

DOnt do anything to the outside!

SLEEPA POWA!

Originally that's the attitude the project took on, screw all the looks and just make it fast. Now I'm going for just a great all around car: handles great, plenty of power, nice interior, clean factory looks on the outside but nothing that says look at me.

Just a thought, some after-market water pumps if not shaped like the oem blade can cause freeze plugs to pop. Not sure what it has on it but just in case you didn't know

Just a thought, some after-market water pumps if not shaped like the oem blade can cause freeze plugs to pop. Not sure what it has on it but just in case you didn't know

I read the stories about the stamped impellers and made sure to get the one with cast impeller.

Very nice Dave. I've seen the car in person and "helped" a bit. I like where it is going and can't wait to ride around in it. This project is being done like it should, on a budget nonetheless.
The lighting is very high tech too! ;-)

Last edited:
Very nice Dave. I've seen the car in person and "helped" a bit. I like where it is going and can't wait to ride around in it. This project is being done like it should, on a budget nonetheless.
The lighting is very high tech too! ;-)

Without the parts hook up and the motivation to do it clean it wouldn't be where it is now man!

this project has been in the dark, this the first time you've posted anything on it?

I've made a few threads about it in the past, but not since last summer when I totally tore it down.

What did you do for a WG?

Two summers ago I ran the stock wastegate and it held a consistent 19psi(which it was I think the original actuator opens up at). Now I ported the hell out of the wastegate, and I'm planning on fabricating something similiar to atp's ultimate wastegate over springbreak with an internal wastegate I can get different springs for. Eventually I'll get a the header setup for twin wastegates with a nice twin scroll turbo.

Last edited:
Back