• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Recent content by Gizmo

1. Gizmo

Turbo. Dead?

Mechanic might have killed my Turbo. well, I found out why I had oil pressure issues, coolant issues, and a rich reading from the 02... The mechanic who diagnosed my R manifold (i know, i know, i should not have outsourced that job) for some crazy reason must have taken my turbo apart (I think...
  2. Gizmo

850 running rich after head rebuild

Hey gang. So I fired up my 850 after ten months or so on blocks. Head had some mild porting, new exhaust manifold, no alterations to the fuel system. Now I'm getting a p0172 code -- system running rich. Should I be looking for a vac leak or loose hose or something (the boost/vac gauge looks...
  3. Gizmo

850: Exhaust Leak after R Mani upgrade

This is the last step in the arduous 9 month process of getting my car back on the road, and I'm stumped. I had the head rebuilt a couple of months back. In the process of reinstalling it I noticed the telltale cracks in the exhaust manifold, and bought a lightly used R Manifold from Erie Vovo...
  4. Gizmo

Stainless lines for Turbo?

Hey guys, reposting this from Maintenance. COnsidering my options for replacing my exhaust manifold. I'm considering getting a stocker off of a c30 or an s60 and having it ported. But the two standard performance options seem to be the R manifold or the ATP manifold designed for the T3 turbos...
  5. Gizmo

850 Gizmo's n00b question of the week: Cracked Manifold

Hey gang. In the slow-going process of reassembling an 850, I just discovered a pretty deep crack between the bottom two runner-outlets on the turbo side of my exhaust manifold. They don't (yet) extend to the exterior of the manifold. Every bone in my body says to replace it, but I just want to...
  6. Gizmo

Turbo Play Tolerances

Searched the Mitsu Heavy site, and looked around the internets, but cant find a straight answer... How much play of the in-and-out variety is acceptable on something like a TD04HL? Pulld the turbo today, the shaft-play is minimal in the side-to-side direction and less in the in-and-out...
  7. Gizmo

TD04-15g Questions

Crossposting from maintenence. I feel like this would have been searchable, but I didnt find anything... sorry if I missed something obvious. I'm taking the turbo out to get to the exhaust mani gaskets on my 850. There's been some oil in the IC hoses for the past couple of years, so I reckon...
  8. Gizmo

850 Gizmo's N00b Questions of the week

another day spend under the car, another night full of questions I ought to already know the answer to. (1) anyone know the P/N for the turbo oil return line ('96 850)? bent mine stupidly trying to get the Ex manifold off without removing the turbo... (2) gonna have to remove the turbo. While...
  9. Gizmo

m56 question

Im looking at buying an NA 850 5-speed thats come up for sale in the area for $600. I want it to be a parts car and eventual donor for a manual swap in my Turbo... The owner says that the car runs, has a new clutch, but the tranny won't shift into first. I'm thinking this is a synchro... is...
  10. Gizmo

Beefy FWD Endlinks?

Is there a good source of thicker-than-stock endlinks anymore? The Quickbrick links looked great back in the day, but it seems that they no longer exist? Are the IPDs a good upgrade?
  11. Gizmo

New York City area Junkyards?

Does anyone know of a decent junkyard / pnp in the NY area that has some volvos? Personally looking for FWDs (if they've made it to the boneyards yet) but generally, are there volvo friendly yards around here?
  12. Gizmo

850 AC delete?

Quick question: my AC condensor died a while back, and now that I'm in the midst of some serious engine work... Is an AC delete as simple as just pulling the compressor? Will that throw some sort of ECC code that'd keep my heater from working? And is it even worth the effort? What kind of gains...
  13. Gizmo

Stupid t-stat bolt

Stupid stupid stupid... I feel like this is dumber than dropping a q-tip in the block... So rebuilding the top half of the 850T, And bolted the head down before attaching the thermostat housing to the head. Now I can't access the bottom bolt. Any suggestions for how to best get it in there...
  14. Gizmo

850 Hydraulic Lifter tests

Hey gang. Can't get straight answers on this... How can I tell if my lifters are good enough to go back into the head w/o a rebuild? I dont recall any lifter noise when my engine was running, but she's got 125k on the clock and when the economy bit the dust so too did my vigilance about oil...
  15. Gizmo

850 N00b Headgasket Question

I did a search, but couldn't find anything that I was sure answered this embarassingly n00b q: Do I put the headgasket on dry on a whiteblock, and only use the volvo bubblegum for the cam cover?
Back