• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

TD04-15g Questions

Gizmo

Crossposting from maintenence.

I feel like this would have been searchable, but I didnt find anything... sorry if I missed something obvious.

I'm taking the turbo out to get to the exhaust mani gaskets on my 850. There's been some oil in the IC hoses for the past couple of years, so I reckon its time for a rebuild. In addition to that,

(a) is it worth it to throw on a 16T compressor wheel to my otherwise stock TD04 (car has an auto tranny)? And would that require a professional rebalance?
(b) Is there anything a DIY P&P would to to liven things up?

Essentially, not much budget, but if the turbo is coming out anyway, i feel like its a shame not to put it back in better than I found it.

He has an 850 turbo so he probably does have a 15g. If you don't have a flat flange 15g, switch to a flat flange housing, that'll help you out some. If you change the wheel you need to have it rebalanced. Is it burning oil? I got a genuine mitsu rebuild kit on ebay for $90 shipped for my 15g, came with good instructions, wasn't that hard to do really. I'd check for shaft play before I rebuilt the turbo to be honest.

16T would be a waste of time. It's basically the same as a 15G.

Next easiest things for you in terms of JY parts would be N/A cams and a 65mm TB conversion.

APEKS, Thats the TB off of the 960, right? is that really a point of restriction in this engine? I'm assuming I'd also need to swap the MAF from the 960 too? (is there a write-up about this anywhere? I'm intrigued.)

Thanks for the advice all around. I had an inkling the 16T was no great shakes, but with a bigger number and a whole different letter, I just had to ask.
I'm going to wait until I pull turbo and check for shaft play to order a rebuild kit, but I'm guessing I should at least freshen up the seals on the oil return line, yeah?

Evan, whenever we pull turbos off we always do the gaskets/crush washers for the feeds and returns.

Rebuilding a mitsu is expensive compared to a garrett, so if you don't have to, i wouldn't. turbos pass some oil naturally. if yours is passing a lot, then something else is amiss. how is the pcv in the car? if you haven't cleaned it out yet it may be time to pull it and flush it out.

btw, any time you change the wheel combination on a turbo, you should have it rebalanced. don't need any funky harmonics at 160K rpm

Back