• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

2006 S40 2.4i project

Thecorker

I am looking for any advice on adding a turbo to the 2.4i motor. Before anyone says it, I know, should just get the T5, but what fun is that! Have seen aftermarket exhaust manifolds that say they fit several motors, and same for turbos. Just looking for any beginners advise, this will be my first engine project on this car. Thanks

you want to put a 2.4i 5 cilinder into the s40 and then turbocharge it?

that's double trouble

take the T5 like everyone says.

1. because they made them in the S40 so parts are no problem and the swap takes a lot less time
2. because it is less work and lasts a lot longer, way longer
3. way less problems during the build and during the driving.
4. cheaper in the end no matter what

the price of a 2.4 in good condition, plus a new intercooler, hoses, turbocharger, decompressionplate or cometic gasket, headbolt kit, manifold, and chip for the ecu (if they already have a +T chip for them, is more than a complete T5 engine

many beginners have said "what fun is that? " and many find out long before they are done.

i think putting a turbo on a non turbo 2.4 and then also putting it into an s40 is a waste of time and money.
it will never run as reliable, good and powerfull as the T5 and it is a lot more work.

especially for a beginner who hasnt turbocharged an engine before.

Guess he's talking about a P1 S40 which comes standard with an NA 5 cylinder.

I did it once on an old 850 which is a lot simpler from an electronics and motor management point of view. The P1's are a totally different story. Sure you can bolt on a turbo, find an oil feed somewhere and drill a hole in the crank pan for the oil return but that's only the easy part. Added to that, the 2.4i isn't all that bad if manual transmission.

Back