• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

92 940 not starting

aaronahnes

hello, i have a 1992 volvo 940 N/A with 211k miles. the other day i drove it for the first time in a while in relatively heavy rain and it drove perfectly normal the whole time. after being parked for 20 minutes it started again but immediately died. it did this several times even with holding down the throttle. i went out to it the day after and now it will only crank and not start or fire at all. distributor cap has been taken off and cleaned however was dry before and no change was made. all fuses behind the ashtray in the center dash were checked and are all good. the car has been consistently running perfectly and starts very fast even after sitting so i don’t have any warning signs to go off of. only code i could get was a 223 code in terminal 2 of block A which is a code for idle air control valve and i don’t believe would alone cause the issues im having. i’m thinking this is a fuel pump and a friend said to replace the crankshaft position sensor. curious if anyone has any ideas. thanks

The ECM (LH module more specifically) issue you mention is only for pink and yellow label ECU's, 556 and 561 I think. Those don't have the fan driver so I doubt they'd be installed on a '92 7/9.

It sounds like fuel system relay, jump the fuel pump and try to start it.

First, verify if it is a fuel or spark issue.
Absolutely, and just to rembember to who doesn't know it, fuel ignition doesn't work if ignition system doesn'work too (es. when rpm sensor is not working you cannot have nor spark and ignitions)

If you have access to limited diagnostic tools consider that is possible to make some basic but usefull checks via the OBD box under the hood thanks to DTM2 and DTM3 (rpm sensor check, injectors check, etc.)

1989+ 740 or 940 crank no-start is commonly the crank sensor. Without doing any diag, load up the parts cannon and fire a crank sensor at it.

Or do the professional approach and do some diagnostics. Spark, fuel pressure, compression, injector pulse, timng, etc.

NO START THREAD: Get the cans of starter fluid out....

Back