• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 - Chasing Coolant Leaks

What about buying an OEM plug from the Volvo parts dept. at your closest Volvo dealer?

Unfortunately I am past that point now.

The parts that I bought off of the old retired mechanic were very well sorted. The guy was very meticulous in his notes. The envelope that stored the plug listed the plug diameter, the hole diameter, the B230 application, part cost, various part numbers, as well as the date that specific plug was purchased. I have reason to believe the plug should work, it's probably just me not being able to do something simple.

Buying the block heater is the easy way out. I could not even find the universal rubber Dorman plug nearby (part 570-009) so went with the block heater. $57 shipped to my door (Volvo is 25 mins each way, with no guarantee that it will fit any easier than the plug I have. Plus I would need to buy more dry ice)

Put the new block heater in.

Broke the tightening screw while installing it.

At least the piece didn't fall down and I was able to get it out.

Okay, lots to update.

I ordered the correct freeze plug from Volvo and wouldn't you know, it went in really nicely with some aviation gasket. I couldn't even tell a difference when holding it next to the aftermarket one that I had purchased from the old Volvo mechanic. It was such a relief to see it go in though!

I finally got motivated enough to put everything back together. I'm thankful that I have these tools although it seemed like I could have installed the cam without them lol.

hrfke7dl.jpg

Swapped the cam gear for an adjustable STS gear.

stIXoG0l.jpg

I took the time to add the Yoshifab phenolic intake manifold spacers (no pic yet).

Added the freshly painted valve cover.

lgAttUZl.jpg

I also swapped the alternator/AC bracket with one that I painted black (no pic yet)

While I was at it, I swapped in a 100A Denso that I found on a junkyard 940.

Swapped the belts, I didn't re-belt the AC compressor as it doesn't work right now anyways.

So, having done all of that, I went to start the car.

First, I removed the fuel pump/injector fuse and I removed power to the ignition coil. I then cranked the engine in 10 second bursts for about 25 seconds total, until the oil pressure light went out while cranking.

Then I re-installed the fuse and hooked up the ignition coil. The engine never fires. I can hear the fuel pump working.

I had enough for the day so I left it to come do a bit of internet research on it before tackling it tomorrow.

My best educated guess is that I re-installed the distributor rotated 180? the wrong way. Does that sound like a reasonable assumption?

In the picture above the timing belt is loose as a goose. You did tension the belt, correct? Theoretically, you can't install the distributor 180 degrees out of time. The slotted drive is offset to prevent you from doing that. You're correct, those cam installation tools are totally unnecessary.

In the picture above the timing belt is loose as a goose. You did tension the belt, correct? Theoretically, you can't install the distributor 180 degrees out of time. The slotted drive is offset to prevent you from doing that. You're correct, those cam installation tools are totally unnecessary.

I saw that in the photo as well. I am 99% sure I did tension it but it is something that I wanted to check tomorrow.

I've probably cranked it for about another 30 seconds in 10 second bursts after putting the fuel fuse back in and hooking up the coil. I did make sure to re-wire the plugs correctly, from left to right on the distributor I did 4-3-1-2.

You didn't damage any wires or terminals moving stuff around, right? All the connectors are fully seated? Clamps on intake hoses are tight?

Valve cover looks beautiful, by the way.

It works!

I was thinking it over last night and I was pretty sure that I had not connected the EFI cable that goes from the ignition coil to the distributor.

Turns out that was it! The car fired right up. I ran it for 10 mins and then shut it off. Later on I drove it the 10 mins home.

I've lost access to the garage for a week or so as it's being insulated. I will not be driving the car much until I can take it in and change the oil. Just to make sure it gets rid of any scotchbrite that I didn't clean up.

nchcZ4Pl.jpg

Thank you everyone for all your advice and help!

Back