• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Are all M46’s the same?

Superloop

hello everyone,

To start, I have some experience with white blocks but am pretty new to wrenching in general so please don’t roast me over a pit of coals for asking dumb questions.

I picked up an 83’ 242 DL M46 last week and I didn’t realize at the time due to a cut exhaust but the transmission is whirling in 1-3rd. I’ve already done my research and concluded that the tranny is going and I’ll need a donor.

Facebook marketplace has a ‘89 244 DL with 190k mi for 500, figure if swap the trannys and junk it everything should go well.

Is this a straight forward swap? Are all M46’s the same or are their discrepancies between years? I couldn’t find anything specific but I’d rather cya than get left with a $500 pos.

Also as a side q, I do plan on doing rear main while I’m in there but is there a tranny refresh thread here that’s a go to? Is it worth doing input/output seals and the like? The search bar is uhhh not helpful.

Lastly, I do have a Bently bible that I will consult as well, but I figure guys with experience can roast me and answer an easy q at the same time 😤

Wouldn't that 89 have come with an M47? Are you able to drive the 89 to make sure the trans is in better shape than yours?
Ya know I was just googling “Volvo 240 transmissions by year”

I messaged him asking if the m46 is in good condition as it was going to be a parts car for him. He said the m46 was great and he still uses it as a beater to/from work. So he either A) doesn’t know the difference between them or b) has an m46 ‘89 244

You'll need an M46 from a car 1985 or older because you have a mechanical speedo. I've also heard that the M46's from turbo cars had a taller first, but that shouldn't matter in your case.

Taller 1st gear M46s are in 1976-80 cars for all markets, V6 cars, and Canadian/European B23E cars. 1981-94 M46s that are not V6 or B23E versions have the same Diesel 1st gear. The really short granny gear. 1983-85 non-turbo M46s have a worm gear on the overdrive unit output shaft that provides the correct ratio for a 3.31:1 rear axle.

The 1986 M46s with the J-type overdrive can be modified to have a speedo drive. Just have to add the worm gear to the shaft, then either modify the housing or reuse the pre-1986 housing to use the speedo drive gear and housing for said gear. Luckily, most 1986 transmissions I've seen just have a plug installed where the speedo drive gear housing is inserted.

A 1989 244 would've come with a M47 stock. It's possible that the car had been converted to a M46, though.

Determine transmission by shifter, if it has a button or switch on the knob it's an m46, nothing, m47.

Thank you everyone for the input. I confirmed with him that it is actually an M47 in the 244.

I’ve sourced an ‘81 M46 with 150k I’ll be picking up next weekend, and will be doing the replacement the following weekend.

If anyone has a go to guide for transmission refresh/clutch replacement that would be handy, but I’m sure I can find out everything on my own as well 👍🏼

Goto OZVolvo.org and download the green books on how to do the clutch. I'd also get the trans, overdrive and propshaft greenbooks. The other book is the Bentley manual. It's only made for 83 and newer but that trans stuff didn't change from 81-85.

Have you ever changed a clutch before?
I've done a clutch on a Hyundai Genesis before, and my father can lend a hand who has done a few in his time. I'm confident in my ability to figure out whatever issues arise. This also is my secondary car, as I have my 07 s60r to daily for the time being.

Goto OZVolvo.org and download the green books on how to do the clutch. I'd also get the trans, overdrive and propshaft greenbooks. The other book is the Bentley manual. It's only made for 83 and newer but that trans stuff didn't change from 81-85.
I have the Bentley bible, is that and a combination of internet research enough to get me through? If the green books are highly recommended, I will get a hold of them.

You should be okay if you've previously changed a clutch.

The basics are the same, you just need to know that the gearbox needs to be rotated slightly whilst removing and installing. There are two dowel pins which you will see when taking off the bellhousing bolts.

Be careful removing the internal hex headed grub screw under the shift lever, it is easily lost.

You should be okay if you've previously changed a clutch.

The basics are the same, you just need to know that the gearbox needs to be rotated slightly whilst removing and installing. There are two dowel pins which you will see when taking off the bellhousing bolts.

Be careful removing the internal hex headed grub screw under the shift lever, it is easily lost.
Already watched a few videos of removal.

Thanks for the advice, I'll update when I go through with it.

Yeah the rotation of the trans is required and throws people for a loop. You back off the trans far enough that you don't ruin the engine rpm sensor bracket on the engine. Once the trans is far enough backed away say about 3 inches you can then rotate it till the starter bulge is below the body and out it comes.

Yeah the rotation of the trans is required and throws people for a loop. You back off the trans far enough that you don't ruin the engine rpm sensor bracket on the engine. Once the trans is far enough backed away say about 3 inches you can then rotate it till the starter bulge is below the body and out it comes.
Good to know, thank you.

As far as P/N list for this so far what I've ordered for the replacement/swap is:

Sachs clutchkit for flat flywheel (plate, disk and release bearing)
Clutch cable OEM
Dampener and spring
Pilot bearing
Rear main OEM

OD sump gasket and crush washers as well to throw redline MTL in there.

Anything major I'm missing? Should I be doing new hardware for the bell housing and clutch assembly? I'm sure I'll have trouble with one or two seizing...

I'd replace the clutch hardware and flywheel hardware if you remove it to be resurfaced. Bellhousing hardware is fine. STS offers delrin shifter cage bushings and bronze shifter bushings, I'd replace those while the transmission is out to make it easier. Make that baby feel new.

I'd replace the clutch hardware and flywheel hardware if you remove it to be resurfaced. Bellhousing hardware is fine. STS offers delrin shifter cage bushings and bronze shifter bushings, I'd replace those while the transmission is out to make it easier. Make that baby feel new.

Pulled the trigger on those as well. I think I've spent almost 2K in parts for this bad boy. So far I have master cylinder and rear calipers, tie rod ends, front bushing kit, front bearings, coolant hoses and thermostats, master cylinder and rear calipers, and now complete clutch.

I really want her at a clean stage 0, and then to just not mutilate her at all and have her stay reliable. The R is the future money pit not the 242.

I will say the m46 in my 77 had a different bell housing with no cast cutout for flywheel sensor. The shifter cage used different bushings that seemed to be NLA. As well as a different gasket between the bellhousing and gearbox.

Back