• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

BNE Dynamics BA Brembo brake kit wheel woes, what wheels fit!!

Ilvmetal

Anyone install the BNE's 240 Big Brake Brembo 17Z Caliper Kit. Stopping power is nuts and craftmanship as always is stellar but holy crap what wheels fit? Car is built for road course and has coil over and we are at mid 500 hp so front and rear wheels need to track close to inline for optimal handling. Tried 17" et10 to 25. also 18". Don't mind rolling the fenders more but I thought someone here might have gone down this road and would save me the dances with wheels

00-EZg3ZoVoZmVWxNllQZifMjJ4xo71j4vLVsRzDnTsBBmTmEhOF9fCdBz9dLZwMZj85cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg
00-EZg3ZoVoZmVWxNllQZifMjJ4xo71j4vLVsRzDnTsBBkX226k-QlnNYIHyN0yOBeSUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg
00-EZg3ZoVoZmVWxNllQZifMjJ4xo71j4vLVsRzDnTsBBnHXSdMV8Q4saXcOn8XhTlNqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw

Going off Homers original thread, post #58 he makes a FWD 17’’ fit but the link for the picture is busted

I’m trying to fit them in some 17’’ Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2’s (et10) which currently have S60R fronts inside them with plenty of space so hopefully I’m good

I have the kit sitting in my garage waiting for me to get around to installing it. Did you use the mustang master or something else?

I have this kit and I've run Tethys and S60R Pegasus wheels without issues. It seems like most FWD Volvo 17"+ wheels will fit over these brakes when you run them with the ~25mm spacers needed to fix the offset since FWD Volvos have the brakes much closer to the wheel face than 240s do. The biggest issue is wheel spoke clearance so anything like EIkers/ Polaris wheels with spokes that curve inwards near the edges won't work.

AJFCJaW6d6r8gbmlpLLY2Jn51YnaSpqlaAl6aNqAxVfX4jtQzY7WqElVvJOs0eFr7qzFQI29YTiNg8TodseR3U1uhxi1MpbAZNN30moquUoYQWZvlCcAjH15EIHBNn2sV9JdagoRNEsgAhvX3vuaW1xhs0s_Gg=w1335-h899-s-no

I have this kit and I've run Tethys and S60R Pegasus wheels without issues. It seems like most FWD Volvo 17"+ wheels will fit over these brakes when you run them with the ~25mm spacers needed to fix the offset since FWD Volvos have the brakes much closer to the wheel face than 240s do. The biggest issue is wheel spoke clearance so anything like EIkers/ Polaris wheels with spokes that curve inwards near the edges won't work.

AJFCJaW6d6r8gbmlpLLY2Jn51YnaSpqlaAl6aNqAxVfX4jtQzY7WqElVvJOs0eFr7qzFQI29YTiNg8TodseR3U1uhxi1MpbAZNN30moquUoYQWZvlCcAjH15EIHBNn2sV9JdagoRNEsgAhvX3vuaW1xhs0s_Gg=w1335-h899-s-no
I bought tegs to clear my cadillac brakes. Good to know i’m in the clear for these. Thanks.

excellent!!

The issue is the barrel not fitting over the caliper.

I'm not real comfortable putting that much torque through wheel pacers though, the downside of using FWD wheels. I decided to switch to a 5x114.3 pattern for a large selection of near 0 offset wheels. Bens redrilled hubs, and will just order rear axles with that pattern. Add 25mm to the rear per side, then you only need spacers on the front for a traditional RWD offset.

Update.
Ended up with OZ from my R wagon for the day at the NYST. Car was blisteringly fast, handling was spot on and very predictable. Brakes had no fading even after 20 mins of track time. Top speed was 128MPH on the straight and passed a brand new vette in the twistys.
Combination of Bens (BNE) products and Rolling motors attention to detail was the talk of the track for the day!!
38 with 15mm offsets is what we ended up with. Looking at a 17" 40 et to loose the spacers.20230606_201619.jpg

Update.
Ended up with OZ from my R wagon for the day at the NYST. Car was blisteringly fast, handling was spot on and very predictable. Brakes had no fading even after 20 mins of track time. Top speed was 128MPH on the straight and passed a brand new vette in the twistys.
Combination of Bens (BNE) products and Rolling motors attention to detail was the talk of the track for the day!!
38 with 15mm offsets is what we ended up with. Looking at a 17" 40 et to loose the spacers.View attachment 22413
That’s a great looking 244

Update.
38 with 15mm offsets is what we ended up with. Looking at a 17" 40 et to loose the spacers.View attachment 22413
I might be misunderstanding your post. A 17" with 40mm offset will make the issue worse, you need to aim at a 0mm wheel offset.

I was using 17x8 if that helps.
Partially.... I don't see where you mentioned (in this thread at least....) what offset you were running so that's still only half the equation. I could assume it's "near zero" based on your post, but this is a rather precise game we are playing here, ;)

I have a set of 18x8.5+0 (30mm adapters) wheels that I'm sure will clear the calipers but but 17's will be a lot easier to fit under the fenders without running rubber bands for tires. I Have a set of Style 5's (17x8 +20) I was planning to run , but simply placing the caliper in the barrel of the wheel makes that look like an unlikely scenario...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240306_191520.jpg
    Screenshot_20240306_191520.jpg
    896 KB · Views: 9
Ok, thought I did. This was for R brakes.
Rear: 17x8, ET 32 with 32 mm spacers = 0mm offset, 245/30 Continental Extreme Contact tires. Trimmed inside fender well edge. Still rubbed under a heavy bump with Bilstein shocks and new IPD lowering springs. Should have used a 235 or the same front tire as below.
Front: 17x8, ET 32 with 25 mm spacers = 7mm offset, 225/35 Continental Extreme Contact tires, same lowering stuff, no rubbing.
I can find the wheel model if you need me to be more specific, but I think I covered what you asked.

Ok, thought I did. This was for R brakes.
Rear: 17x8, ET 32 with 32 mm spacers = 0mm offset, 245/30 Continental Extreme Contact tires. Trimmed inside fender well edge. Still rubbed under a heavy bump with Bilstein shocks and new IPD lowering springs. Should have used a 235 or the same front tire as below.
Front: 17x8, ET 32 with 25 mm spacers = 7mm offset, 225/35 Continental Extreme Contact tires, same lowering stuff, no rubbing.
I can find the wheel model if you need me to be more specific, but I think I covered what you asked.
Thanks for the details!
In an effort to keep this thread on task, lets not dive too deep into R-Brake specific info

#ApplesAndOranges :lol:

Looks like the biggest difference is how far outward the 17z protrudes in the center, courtesy of the pad retention pin. Hence why the 2-piece style 5 looks like such a tight fit as it snakes down in diameter where the face bolts to the barrel. Something forged , like a Te37 would do far better in that regard as the barrel actually gets wider the further away from the spokes you get.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240307-132344_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240307-132344_Gallery.jpg
    380 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
The pin doesn't really protrude much past the outer diameter of the caliper. So it is less of a factor than you would expect.

With all the BBK that use the R rotors, the biggest issue is going to be spoke clearance if you have a decent 17" wheel

Back