• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Cd009 vs t5 vs getrag vs ? For volvo 740 turbo

kgalla

Just looking for some advice/ recommendations for my next trans. I know all of them can hold the power I'm planning to make (<300hp) and hold up to the endurance racing I'm planning on doing but I'm wondering what would be the easiest to get parts for to complete the whole swap? The car is currently a stock m46 and the brand new clutch is slipping but if I pull this m46 out again I am not putting it back in. What would you go with if you were starting from scratch today? If it was 5 years ago I may have went with a t5 but considering it doesn't fit as well in a 740 and isn't nearly as easy to find I'm leaning more towards the cd009 but still open to any recommendations!

T5 for what you described
I have yet to see one of those in a 740 with a good shifter position and finding a good one at a good price is part of what's driving me to think the cd009 would be a better fit. I'm also talking overall package not just which trans would be best that's been discussed a thousand times. My question is more related to which one would it be easier to get all necessary components for.

This isn't 740 specific so shifter location would be a question for someone else, but:

For ease of getting the parts hands down a T5 over CD009. It's been done a thousand times, you can find all the part numbers in threads to take out the majority of guesswork.

SN95 V6 T5 trans can be found at the PnP much easier than a CD009, slap in a 5.0 input shaft and you've got the trans for <$200.
Viggen PP, STS flywheel and Deeworks adapter are all available now, custom disc from mild to wild is a no guess work order and crossmember/driveshaft options (I'm thinking 240 again, please confirm) exist quite easily.

I have yet to see one of those in a 740 with a good shifter position and finding a good one at a good price is part of what's driving me to think the cd009 would be a better fit. I'm also talking overall package not just which trans would be best that's been discussed a thousand times. My question is more related to which one would it be easier to get all necessary components for.
You can get everything from yoshifab for a cd009. I freaking love having a six speed. With the 740. You still need a shifter to move it forward a but but it fits better than in a 240.

I would recommend a T5 over a getrag. I went getrag just because I couldn't find a T5 in the junkyard but I found one of them. (now I see T5s and Cd009s more). The effort of trying make it work and fabricating everything. The cost of the driveshaft. It's not really worth it.

I had the summit knock-off of the steeda t5 shifter in my 940. Opened up the shifter hole 1" forward, bolted a 5" piece of steel to the shifter, and then bolted the shifter handle that came in the box to the end of the steel. That put the shifter right where my hand rested naturally, and despite the extension the throw remained short and the feel was precise and notchy. Overall the price of the swap came in under what I would've sourced a cd009 alone for too.

I had the summit knock-off of the steeda t5 shifter in my 940. Opened up the shifter hole 1" forward, bolted a 5" piece of steel to the shifter, and then bolted the shifter handle that came in the box to the end of the steel. That put the shifter right where my hand rested naturally, and despite the extension the throw remained short and the feel was precise and notchy. Overall the price of the swap came in under what I would've sourced a cd009 alone for too.
Any pictures of this set up? The only setup I've found pictures of would have me punching my dash every shift

I would recommend a T5 over a getrag. I went getrag just because I couldn't find a T5 in the junkyard but I found one of them. (now I see T5s and Cd009s more). The effort of trying make it work and fabricating everything. The cost of the driveshaft. It's not really worth it.
Thanks for the heads up!
Is this for an endurance racercar? I don't have experience with the other transmissions, but my CD009 has over 9000 miles and 13 Lemons and Lucky Dog races and has been flawless. With a tail mount shifter, it is in the same spot as your M46. You will never use 6th gear.
Sounds like a challenge to use 6th gear to me. How was sourcing all the parts for it?

Sounds like a challenge to use 6th gear to me. How was sourcing all the parts for it?
I might have the first CD009 in a Volvo. Yoshifab used my car to develop most all the parts needed for swap along with a Deeworks adapter plate. Got the trans from Craigslist for $600, but you can get it new for under $2k.

With a 3.54 rear end I think I can see about 125 in 5th at 6k RPM. I don't know if it would go faster in 6th overdrive without adding a lot of boost which is not ideal for endurance racing.

There are plenty of Lemons teams who have also done a T5 swap. I'd say whichever transmission you can find in good shape, go for it. If you are going to swap a BMW transmission, why not just swap the straight six BMW M50 motor as well?

Shifter position sucks for a CD009 but T5s are cheap, easy to find and the noise won’t matter because race car
what ? in a 7/9 with the right shifter a serial 999 it fits like a glove that is what i have in my 940 and even with the cheap crappy shifter i had it was like a 1/4 removal

what ? in a 7/9 with the right shifter a serial 999 it fits like a glove that is what i have in my 940 and even with the cheap crappy shifter i had it was like a 1/4 removal
That shifter alone costs more than two T5s....

Not saying it isn't worth it, but if he wants cheap and available it doesn't seem like the right move.

Any pictures of this set up? The only setup I've found pictures of would have me punching my dash every shift
I thought I had some but looking through my phone I can only find ones of my first attempt that didn't work. I recently sold the car to a friend of mine, I'll see if I can get him to send me a photo of the setup

That shifter alone costs more than two T5s....

Not saying it isn't worth it, but if he wants cheap and available it doesn't seem like the right move.
yes the shifter is $500 but well worth it "That shifter alone costs more then the cost of 2 T5's" Not out here in California unless you know someone. Cheap T5 need $500 worth of work done to make them right they are usually junk 4CYL ones . I am not wasting time putting crap parts in my car I need reliability to much other stuff in life to do

yes the shifter is $500 but well worth it "That shifter alone costs more then the cost of 2 T5's" Not out here in California unless you know someone. Cheap T5 need $500 worth of work done to make them right they are usually junk 4CYL ones . I am not wasting time putting crap parts in my car I need reliability to much other stuff in life to do

:e-shrug: Guess I just got lucky with all three of the $150 PnP SN95 V6 boxes I've swapped input shafts and installed issue free in 240s.

I might have the first CD009 in a Volvo. Yoshifab used my car to develop most all the parts needed for swap along with a Deeworks adapter plate. Got the trans from Craigslist for $600, but you can get it new for under $2k.

With a 3.54 rear end I think I can see about 125 in 5th at 6k RPM. I don't know if it would go faster in 6th overdrive without adding a lot of boost which is not ideal for endurance racing.

There are plenty of Lemons teams who have also done a T5 swap. I'd say whichever transmission you can find in good shape, go for it. If you are going to swap a BMW transmission, why not just swap the straight six BMW M50 motor as well?
That's a good point about the bmw trans. I don't think this is the route I'll go especially since there have been the least responses on it. Most replies I've found on other threads have pointed to going with the cd009. Some people with the t5 swap have said they wished they went with cd009 but I have yet to find a thread saying it the other way around.
I thought I had some but looking through my phone I can only find ones of my first attempt that didn't work. I recently sold the car to a friend of mine, I'll see if I can get him to send me a photo of the setup
That would he great since the shifter location is a pretty important factor for me!

Unfortunately I'm in the same boat up here in portland all I've been able to find is t5s of unknown condition and they're all over $500. Reliability is probably my top deciding factor after this m46 only lasted me a few weeks

I have a TR3650 from a 2004 mustang in my 242, I had to swap the input shaft with the later version 2010 + for the correct length 10 spline, which basically involved taking the whole thing apart. Hanlon had a 26 spline input shaft available which makes it almost indestructible. It uses an adapter plate from Hanlon motorsports that converts it to TKO mount on the front. That bolts up to the BNE adapter plate, so 2 adapters but I have a 5spd that will take 600ft.lbs. needed some tunnel bashing but the shifter position isn't too bad had to cut way a little bit of the stock hole but it put the shifter closer. It also has a .62 o.d. which is great above 65 mph with my 4.10 rear end. It turns about 2800rpm at 80mph. The internals are about twice the size of T5 guts and it weighs about twice as much too if that matters. Definitely a 2 person job to install it.

Last edited:
Back