• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

dirt cheap susp for 92 240

moms 92

i know this is a stupid question, but i get really confused about susp for my 92 240 wagon, i want to get rid of the massive body roll, whats the cheapest way to do this, also i tow with this car so it needs to be able to handle towing, any suggestions? im not afraid of getting under this car but dont want to be up a creek minus paddle so to speak.

I CAN HELP YOU HERE!!!!!

from GREAT experiance from my little rally, i found LADA riva estate ( 2102/2104) rear springs go into a 745 perfectly, but maybe a little short for a 240/5.
doesn't matter. as long as there is tabs on the rear of the lower spring cups, you'll be fine.

BELIEVE ME even if they are short, THEY WILL NOT FALL OUT. And I had a fully laden 745 completly off the ground at 70mph+, and I don't mean gentle jumps, I mean all out northern kazahkstan (Just before we got into russia again, and the beautiful altai republic), where the roads are just as ridiculous as far western KAZ (KAZ is pretty much the same size as europe!!! :omg: ) .
so don't fear they may fall out.

HOW MUCH FOR THESE AMAZING LOAD CARRYING BOMBPROOF, KAZAHK/ RUSSIAN/MONGOLIAN PROOF SPRINGS I HEAR YOU SAY.

$16 USD from your local lada parts supplier.:twisted: :cool:

quite a bit stiffer than the std springs

Snag a front sway out of a 240 turbo, fairly easy to find, 2 of the four yards here have one, and a rear sway from a 240 GT, much harder to find. That'll give you a matched set of 23mm sways. which is almost as good as IPDs and considerably better then what you have, just the stock turbo front and rear are much better. Check out FCP for their overload springs which are about 160 for front and rear and some new shocks but that can bump the price a lot. Sways and springs will make it a new ride though.

anti-sway bars will help reduce the sway. The bigger the bar the less the sway, but the bar also reduces suspension travel. Ipd sells a set as well as springs. eurosport tuning sells springs as well.

If you can get to a local junkyard and find either a 240 turbo or a 242GT, grab the front sway bar off the turbo and the rear off the GT (if its a 79) Then you will have 23mm up front and back.

Also grab the strut to firewall brace. Another part that i have found to work extremely well for the money is putting in lower bracing from the crossmember to the body and box it in.

Good luck

DeCarbon orange struts from a 240 GT or Turbo might be available cheap/free. I have a pair on my daily driver, and they're quite firm with the stock springs. But they didn't fit the '90 strut tubes...so they may not fit a '92. I don't have ABS, so I just changed the strut tubes.

I picked up a 25mm IPD front bar for ~$75. Helps the front stay flatter while cornering.

I picked up some stiff R-sport rear shocks on ebay for ~$70/pr. Very firm.

My latest ebay find was a pair of coilover springs, 12" x 250lb, to use on the front. I'm trading for some 12" x 150lb coilover springs to use on the rear.

For under $200, I'll have springs/shocks/swaybar that will give excellent handling without sacrificing ride too much, and w/o giving up ride height and suspension travel.

Our 93 240 wagon had massive body roll when we got it. I think the whole suspension had 154k on it. I replaced the shocks and struts with Sachs Advantage and upgraded to Turbo sway bars with new bushings and brackets for the front one. Also, the torque rod bushings and the a-arm bushings were shot, especially the back ones, so I replaced them too. The ball joints weren't loose but the rubber was torn, so I stuck new ones in while I was at it. I did not change the springs. The overall effect is huge. The car feels completely different now, real tight and responsive without all the previous slop. It's not only much more fun to drive, but is a lot safer. I would have hated to have to do an evasive maneuver at any speed when it had the old suspension. The job wasn't cheap though, even doing it myself.

Back