• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

First VGT turbo on redblock?

haltechsupra

Hello haltechsupra,

Thank you for being a member of our messageboard and participating in the community. Now that you've been around a while I'm hoping that you have seen the value in an online forum such as turbobricks and see that it is completely funded by its users. In order to continue in the ad-free manor we have grown accustomed to, we need dontations from our users. It is not required by any means but it is what keeps us online. You can read all about what it means to be a contributor and what you get in return in the FAQ here.

Here is our fall fund raiser thread: Turbobricks Fund Drive! aka Get your BLUE username

Thanks for your consideration,

Dana Howe
"boostdemon"

HMMM...I started this thread and experienced a bunch of ridicule and straight up hate, so I removed the info.Tired of the bs -I know it works-I wanted to share it with you guys, and then got chit in my face most of the whole time. I removed the info also because my alcohol thread "How to cure Detonation" has been closed by some mod-for some unknown reason, and hate comments not removed, and now I cant even update the thread. It pisses me off , that I have worked so hard on something that works great, but now I cant even update the thread to keep updates on my progress.Who else has poured 27+ psi of boost on a na motor (with a real turbo)and its lived for more than a week. Mine has been alive for a year and a half now. .Turbobricks- If you want donations, then let original posters have control of their threads. I've been a member since 98, (once was considered to be mod) and met so many good people in person from this board.I've learned so many cool things from this board.My car is pretty quick because of this board. But because of the current status on the way 740ATL, and a few other individuals ,are allowed to handle themselves- and the few mods that are in his corner -on this board, I have about had enough. I've never seen the list as out of control with trolls as it is now, and UN-moderated for the most part. There's a handful of people here that just get on to troll, And it just so happens their screen-name advertises the fact. and its allowed nonstop. 740atl trolls me regularly-then i report him, nothing happens, I nudge back-i get reprimanded.

That's not right.

I'm not gonna donate money for that to continue.

I really don't know this guy personally . But I first dealt with him when speaking to mods about helping out on the board (I mapped out turbo compressor maps back in 2000 for this board for 25 different turbos and it was published here-then the whole article disappeared.) , and a mod replied back for me to" help out with articles". 740atl, -INSTANTLY- then took the reins and made like 15 or so articles and published them , -and sent me hate pm's at the same time.

What a dick move.

This is why im like "FAWK THAT GUY." I ask to help and he jumps in front of me and takes over instantly.Which... is fine.. just don't start chit with me every time I post after the fact, and he does.And hes continually allowed to.

That's selective enforcement guys.

Just a week or so ago I posted in his 242 love story post as a suggestion(honestly trying to help) for his crank pos sensor issue. I gave info, part number, and a pic, added a one word nudge of "karma" due to his machine shop fiasco. My post got removed and I got a one week ban. Ummm yeah.... That isn't right.GITYOURchITstraightTBRICKS! Please.

Now you want me to give you money T bricks? Please understand . Our relationship at this point is rocky at best, please act concerned.... signed- Not Perfect. Not Happy.

P>S .If anyone else busts my ass about spelling and punctuation-look at the quote above from T- Bricks and have a laugh.
P>S>S -You have closed my MOST READ THREAD- By public viewers, I've ever posted "How to cure Detonation" Not cool bro.Not cool.

Last edited:
How are you going to do partial throttle boost managent?

Edit: I re read your post.

Simple way is like 3 boost controllers and 3 switches on the throttle. 25% activates 1 bleed 50% does another and 75% all 3.

Last edited:
That rod looks like its an awkward angle. Its not going to bind? Also will it be able to move it as quickly since its now moving at an angle?

yeah, the problem is most of them have such big hotsides they aren't usable on a j/y 8v or similar. gl, i've seen some vids of dsm's with a similar setup and it looked decent for what it was. i think i read on other forums that some people just lock them to the smaller position and it still flows plenty for a gas motor

gl, can't wait to see how it turns out

No, closed position works for an engine brake.
The one off a 6.7 Cummins closed = a 3.5CM2 housing, a small regular Holset is 9CM.
The hotside looks huge mainly because it is holding a bunch of moving parts.

I'm thinking you will want load and boost compensating, unless you intend to run then engine at single speed.

I would think the exhaust heat from a gasoline engine will play havoc with those little moving vains after a while. I'm pretty sure this is the reason most gasoline engine cars don't use them as reliability is difficult (although Porsche seem to have figured it out) I like the idea of having from 5cm2 up to 25cm2 housing for boost though. Will be keeping a close eye on this.

Good luck

I got one of those Holset VGT's a while back, I was considering putting it on my 16V. But in my case I thought the thing was just too big. 51 lbs complete, simply massive hotside.

I think there are some hacks around by now that can control the actuators on those, but there weren't at the time. I was going to do about what you are going to try - use a WG actuator to switch it between 'spool' and 'flow' modes. Adjust the closed position somewhere above the engine brake position, with a little experimentation, to some setting that would give me a good early spool. And then when it had built some smallish amount of boost (8 psi?) have the WG flip it to flow mode. Maybe not all the way open, but whatever some experimentation seemed to show was a good setting for top end power.

Still would have needed some other sort of boost control like an external WG.

I would think the exhaust heat from a gasoline engine will play havoc with those little moving vains after a while. I'm pretty sure this is the reason most gasoline engine cars don't use them as reliability is difficult (although Porsche seem to have figured it out) I like the idea of having from 5cm2 up to 25cm2 housing for boost though. Will be keeping a close eye on this.

Good luck

The holsets don't have moving vanes. They have stationary vanes on a backplate and the nozzle area is changed by moving the entire assembly in and out. Lots of guys are running these on Misterbitchis.

Last edited:
Back