• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Kyle242GT's 1959 5.044

God that interior brings back memories of the kinda sketchy test drive I took in that thing for you.

Again love seeing the progress on it

:wave: hey everyone!

Car runs great, took my kids out the other day and made my 14yo drive it. :lol: he could barely push the clutch in, and then was so terrified all he could do was idle around a parking lot.

I said fine. Shut it off, and it wouldn't restart. So my kids got to learn about push starting - parenting is awesome sometimes.

Once started, I ripped about four yooge donuts, not noticing older son's door wasn't latched. :roll: whatever dude, you had your seatbelt on, and you were on the inside of the donut anyway.

Tried to start it the other day, clicks-ville. I think the recycled group zero battery that it came with finally kaputzed.

Still trying to figure out what to do next. Was debating Mustang II front end, but I don't think I care that much.. so now I'm thinking to just put the noncrushed door on, prime it all one color, hit it with some sixties scallops, and call it done.

Sometimes I get down on myself that it's such a halfbaked halfwitted illconcieved illmannered misbegotten wretch. Then I remember all the times Kenwood mocked me and implied it'd never move again and I think.

:woowoo:

Damn it feels good to be a TB'er.

Paint looks awesome as is. Primer would ruin it

Relevant:
21798229952_6c4d9beb92_b.jpg

I vote for primer, or more accurately just base coat with no clear (AKA, Hot Rod Flatz).

Horlord doesn't know aesthetics. He put nerd glasses on his 242. Don't listen to him.

Prettying the car up goes against its very own principle.

Single rounds are way too popular with the scenester ****boy crowd. I can't be mixed up with that.

Tax season's over, but the weather's been nice, boating is rad, mtb trails are choice, and oh my god are there a lot of weeds around my property.

Have been thinking of selling it, or pulling the drivetrain for some future purpose, since the fun* stuff is done. But since I have this spare door, which I just happened to crush back in Scene 24, I figured I'd swap that today.

Not really a big deal, except the glass-to-regulator assembly is rotten and there's something fruity with the interior door handle - it doesn't work! I'm guessing that has something to do with the cloverleaf-shaped square hole in the latch assembly. Oh, and the driver's door lock doesn't fit the keys I have.

The old door is a mess! Crazy wrinkled top/bottom/front/rear, smashed near the hinges, the woiks! Evidently there was a pretty good smackeroo in this thing's history. And, that explains the 1/8" thick bondo on the cowl; rather than work the door back to fit properly, they just mudded it up and called it a day. :roll: I'll hit it with a grinder or heatgun or something and see what's in there.

I also primered a few more places in preparation for getting it all primed and lowridery. Tentative plan is to get it more-or-less hammered into shape, prime it (maybe metalflake/lace the roof!) and put some scallops or other 50's-60's style graphics on it.

Unless I can come up with a sweet cheap way to put bass-boat levels of metalflake paint on it.

Attachments

• 20170524_114931.jpg
    20170524_114931.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 542
  • 20170524_150948.jpg
    20170524_150948.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 539
  • 20170524_151002.jpg
    20170524_151002.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 543
Got all the trim removed. A variety of plastic pushpins, metal clips, and threaded studs... Will have to see if I can track down more of the plastic clips. They fit nicer and are much easier to get in and out.

The firewall/cowl/front quarter (?) area is really gross, I heatgunned out most of the bondo, called it good enough. There's still way more in there.

Funny how bad the doors fit. Are they all like that? Passenger side should be pretty minty from what I can tell, but the door stands about 3/8" out at the bottom rear corner while matching up pretty well the rest of the way around. I guess I could be that the whole car is tweaked. Wouldn't surprise me.

Still planning to prime it all red, throw some period-correct scallops (or somesuch) on it, stripe the outline, and call it good. But there's something about the feel of a DA sander in my hand, I hear the clarion call of finish work, "It's just one little piece to smooth out at a time..."

One thing that's holding me back from that is uncertainty about the front end - will I need to rework it for a bigger radiator? Will I lose my mind and put a Mustang II front end in it and rework the fenders?

...but there sure is something about getting that sander out after a 25-year nap. :ahoy:

Attachments

• 20170603_173907.jpg
    20170603_173907.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 456
  • 20170603_173949.jpg
    20170603_173949.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 458
  • 20170603_174451.jpg
    20170603_174451.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 457
  • 20170603_174601.jpg
    20170603_174601.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 453
I like the bottom one, the style of scallops on the top one is kinda meh, seen it too much. The bottom one is out of the norm for scallops.

Can you tweak that door? Maybe park next to some sturdy thing and with a block of wood going up and down in the jam, and a block on the outside of that corner angled across the corner / push the corner in with a scissor jack?

Last edited:
Not sure how you went about removing the doors but most body shops will tell you to take the door off of the hinge and never take the hinge off of the car. Getting stuff to line up again becomes a PIA.

I learned that after the fact! The new door came with hinges, but one was stuck, so I had a half-n-half situation no matter how I sliced it.

Holy crap this thing is rough, but it sure looks better being all one color.

Attachments

• 20170604_121106.jpg
    20170604_121106.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 428
  • 20170604_161841.jpg
    20170604_161841.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 422
Back