• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

last RWD Volvo?

moms 92

what was the last year for the RWD volvo? come summer im getting rid of the 92 240 wagon and want a car with similar cababilities but something with less miles and better condition, im only interested in rwd tho.

A 1996 960 wagon is RWD. My dad had one, nice wagon.

as said the 98' s/v90 is the last rwd car

last turbo rwd car was the 95' 940 turbo

last solid axle car might of been said 940 but i am not sure

92-94 960 got the bigger cams for 199hp
later cars go milder but better low end cams for 184hp

block design was changed multiple times during the years
mostly with metulurgy changes though i think there were some changes in the combustion chamber

the 92-94 were 204 hp no?

last turbo rwd car was the 95' 940 turbo

last solid axle car might of been said 940 but i am not sure

Last US market RWD turbo was the '95 940, but they were still sold outside the US up until '98.

Last live axle was the 940 though.

the 92-94 were 204 hp no?

US market '92-'94 960 = 204bhp, '95> 960 and S/V90 = 180bhp
Rest of world market '91-'96 960 3.0 = 204bhp, S/V90 = 180 or 204 depending on owner choice/gearbox, '95/'96 2.5 = 170bhp

what are the chances of me finding a standard V90? do they have potential for mods?

Yeah, the '98 S/V90 was the last Volvo RWD. I just wanted to say that I love mine! Great car, just make sure you buy one that has been well maintained. Very comfortable car to drive and they still handle fairly well. Not much available in the way of modifications though. There is a "Road Holding Kit" available from Volvo in Europe, but it isn't sold here and it's not cheap. I'm trying to get a price on the kit right now. If you want a car to modify, you want a '93+ 940 turbo...

block design was changed multiple times during the years
mostly with metulurgy changes though i think there were some changes in the combustion chamber

The other, probably more important change was to the timing belts and pulleys. Early ones ('92) were notorious for breaking belts at <20k miles. The story I heard from a Volvo master tech was that Porsche originally designed for a large belt (used on the later motors), but Volvo demanded they make it cheaper even though the Porsche engineers protested. So, the Porsche engineers did. Saving the money on each car out the door cost them big in the end as many of the belts broke under warranty.

- John

Back