• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Microsquirt 16v+t

Had some wastegate spikeage to 29psi and going further if i didnt lift!

nL0Zx5M.jpg

Sometimes things get serious. The preload on this spring is tremendous!

OVCTQLC.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/kris.d.weldy/videos/10206805224240738/

Just add lock tite.

I had to go in for warrantee work, went through surgery and recuperating..My car seemed to have the same going theme, although self induced. First drive out of surgery , car dies at intersection. Blew fuse on ignition side, replaced fuse, no start, tow home. Yay triple AAA!! Ignitor burned two channels out of it, switched to two more channels (8 channel efi source ) and car started (thanks for the advice Linux) , made it about another 20 minute drive , car dies, fuse blown again. Replace fuse, look for problems. Nothing. Try to start, no start. Two more channels blown on ignitor. WTH?!! I switched ignitor back to stock dsm, that i bought with 90 dsm coil pack. Works great. Get another 20 minute very cautious drive in, bam, fuse blows again!! Alrighty then damnit. What is your major malfunction conjunction junction?!
Replace blown fuse, check coil pack for shorts, and whammy, like an apple hitting me in the head, i used my mirror and had a peak under the coil pack i mounted on middle rear valve cover 10mm bolt. Seems that when the engine torques , the coil pack shorts one pole out, on the firewall /exhaust shield. Easy fix, move coil pack up a bolt. Sweet.
But , why will car go lean as soon as it gets into boost? I mean really lean. Check fuel pressure, fixed at 40 psi with 20psi of boost from bicycle pump to fuel pressure regulator. A HA! So i buy a new adjustable fuel pressure regulator ( adjustable bosch $38 from oreilly vs the stock turbo one at $55 non adjustable part number in pics), install it, turn key on. 40psi, apply 20psi to regulator, fuel pressure still at 40psi and pump is loud in the tank. That walbro 450lph is singing!! WTH?! Why do you treat me so ? You dirty car you..So at this point I'm thinking the pump crapped out that is 5 months old, or the filter clogged up (e85 seems to melt the glue out of the factory filters after about 8 months or so, and filter separates-still need a replacement filter that is not made of paper and glue). I pull the filter down and hit the key again and shake the filter around, no change in fixed 40psi fuel pressure.. uhh ok..
"To the pump we go! " pointing my hammer with furious anger. This means i GET TO lay on my belly and pull this whole pump assembly out again that was so much fun to install in the first place. Remember- surgery -big nasty wound on my thigh/belly-great fun it has been, but i still am kicking worms out of my way, so there's that!
I pull the pump out and i see the factory rubber hose i left in the tank from the pump to the top of the sender unit that screws into the tank, is split-almost the full length down longways. My mistake, i thought i replaced that with some 225psi efi hose, nope sure didn't. Well now i have! Half ass reassemble, hit the key, fuel pressure shoots the pressure gauge off the fuel rail, into the corner of my house laundry room, into the washing machine, not 3 foot away,is a gas hot water heater with a pilot flame.. I panic like a squirrel in the middle of the road, grab the extinguisher out of the back seat of car prepare for worst , Nothing amazing happened. Cleaned up the e85, febreezed the house . Re attached fp gauge, hose clamp this time instead of zip tie!!! Hit key, 105 psi base pressure , holy crap! Turn key off set base pressure back to 35 psi, keeping the max flow of fuel pump at 100gph at 65/70psi , according to walbro website flow sheet. https://walbrofuelpumps.com/fuel-pumps-pressure-charts
Apply 20psi of pressure and fp goes from 35 to 60 or so immediately. YAY!! Success! Now for full ass reassembly. Maybe one day i will stick this surge tank in there with the bosch 044 pump inline with the 450lph walbro.
A little side note on fuel pressure regulator i bought, i had to change the end out to a vacuum sending end,The new one just had a bolt with no vacuum/boost reference, not sure why this design changed over the years but the part did not, look at pics..The old one i bought almost 16 years ago. Still works great.
http://www.raceworks.com.au/calculators/fuel-pump-calculator/

wZoWW0K.jpg

YtpJwLK.jpg

Been getting around a bit better. Made some needed changes on the Black Widow.I Found a bricker, who was parting out another white 16v wagon, and i grabbed some things off it, like new wipers, hood, tow hitch, window switches , and some other little odds and ends that aren't really that interesting.
What it was like...

Cwzfkgv.jpg

Made a template, outlined it on new hood.

9qrR19Y.jpg

And cut away.

bp9FL7t.jpg

And whala.

7q4HIHS.jpg

Mz5ceTg.jpg

As the winter time temps seem to be hitting us sporadically in Houston, My windshield likes to fog up on the outside from e85 fumes. Kind of hilarious- but scary! So stack is necessity . Went over and chatted with my buddies David and Mike,At AA auto, and did some horse trading labor for some labor, and they welded a stack up for me, sounds so much better and now i can open all my windows and sunroof again without dying of corn oil fumes, and getting blasted with hot air! Check out that hitch!

Mz5ceTg.jpg

ngOvHXk.jpg

7WA2RPj.jpg

X7qq2lE.jpg

Some... noise.

https://www.facebook.com/kris.d.weldy/videos/10207365644450893/

I am fighting myself to paint the hood, the panda is growing on me. Maybe i will wash it and see what it looks like.Anyway, the hood opens and shuts with the stack on, only have to remove the air filter now. The huge can filter i had, destroyed two turbos. Turbos started sucking pieces of paper element in it at 25/27 psi with the tx 60/62, hence the 70mm replacement. Boost is now at 20 and it had its debut with a new skyline on a 10 roll, wagon put that gap on 'em through second and third and he gave up. Can't wait to use this t56. Really brainstorming my options for clutch setups. I guess i will use a standard m46 flywheel with lh2.4 tone ring, and upgrade the clutch, or get a clutch pack modified for a multidisk clutch like a few others have done, i dunno..One more aw71L left then i will be forced to make the drastic change, this trans just shelled od, and is now freewheeling when I let off the gas in all gears (these are the signs), so the time is coming, Money will decide more than likely. It lasted roughly 9 months longer using the a/c condenser as a trans cooler. And a turbo upgrade. 120 % duty cycle on 1000cc injectors on e85, and walbro 450lph pump at 22 psi , so i turned it down to 20 and run 90% duty cycle. Not sure what it makes , other than smiles for me, and people around.

Last edited:
Rip aw71 era 93 turbo. Here's a few clips taken today, celebrating the fun we have had. It started showing signs a few weeks ago , that it was about to go after a year and a half of service in this car. Accumulator mod, volvo stock a/c condenser for trans cooler with pusher fan. Longest lasting one at this power level so far. Not sure what this power level is.21.5 psi in these vids. First sign she was going was no shift out of first until car was warm, second sign, slipping od under very little load, third sign, loose kickdown cable, fourth sign , freewheeling and delayed slipping shift into third gear. Last sign, slip into neutral as soon as i hit boost.I apologize about the quality, seems loading the vids from fb dubs down the quality a bit.

https://youtu.be/JihTdCrehQc?t=5

https://youtu.be/_YeJpAXptHI?t=1

https://youtu.be/wOWm7lncXz8?t=6

Last edited:
Unfortunately i have come up short in the money department so the t56 I have, will have to wait, unless something amazing happens in the next few days, i will be building a aw72L for the next donor trans- i have two left, one has a ipd od bypass(not sure how exactly that works) and the other is in unknown condition. Accumulator mod it, then in she goes. I still need a lh 2.4 flywheel (not flexplate) and still undecided on the clutch, either a multidisk tilton or some other modified setup. I need the clutch pedal assembly and cable or master cylinder and lines, and the driveshaft made.Then make some trans mounts.

The od bypass is simply a plate with a groove that connects the two ports on the od telling it that it's engaged. So it basically makes od always on when you're in drive

Hooning around, and bam, no boost and tons of oil smoke, drive back to the house, killing all mosquitoes in my path. Heard a rattle in the exhaust housing. Seems my 70mm broke the welded exhaust wheel off the shaft. RIP. Back to the 60/62 until i can get a good line on a s300 or a gt40(60/62 is already back on). 62mm exhaust wheel from (supposed ) d8 cat, and a 70mm t4 wheel. Dam shame -it was a blast! It appears the front bearing went out and it eventually got so loose,that the exhaust housing made contact with the exhaust wheel and broke it off. Never seen this before, but it was a turbo, that a turbo shop literally "made" or fabricated for a drag honda.

hnQhKRO.jpg

RAQ2IVa.jpg

VdoGDfy.jpg

You couldn't be more on point with that MadDog_945! I am looking for a hx52, Kenny is inspiration enough, to try it!

A HA! So i buy a new adjustable fuel pressure regulator ( adjustable bosch $38 from oreilly vs the stock turbo one at $55 non adjustable part number in pics), install it, turn key on.

I pull the pump out and i see the factory rubber hose i left in the tank from the pump to the top of the sender unit that screws into the tank, is split-almost the full length down longways. My mistake, i thought i replaced that with some 225psi efi hose, nope sure didn't. Well now i have! Half ass reassemble, hit the key, fuel pressure shoots the pressure gauge off the fuel rail, into the corner of my house laundry room, into the washing machine, not 3 foot away,is a gas hot water heater with a pilot flame.. I panic like a squirrel in the middle of the road, grab the extinguisher out of the back seat of car prepare for worst , Nothing amazing happened. Cleaned up the e85, febreezed the house . Re attached fp gauge, hose clamp this time instead of zip tie!!! Hit key, 105 psi base pressure , holy crap! Turn key off set base pressure back to 35 psi,
Apply 20psi of pressure and fp goes from 35 to 60 or so immediately. YAY!! Success! Now for full ass reassembly. Maybe one day i will stick this surge tank in there with the bosch 044 pump inline with the 450lph walbro.
A little side note on fuel pressure regulator i bought, i had to change the end out to a vacuum sending end,The new one just had a bolt with no vacuum/boost reference, not sure why this design changed over the years but the part did not, look at pics..The old one i bought almost 16 years ago. Still works great.

wZoWW0K.jpg

Thats a D-Jet regulator, and they arent vacuum referenced.

d_reg.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting! D jet regulator bumps up the fuel pressure per psi of boost with the fitting i used. I checked it with my trusty bicycle pump with car running , it bumps up the fuel pressure. Not sure what it does under vacuum, will check with my mityvac soon.

And this is where I am lost..Please help!I am currently about to embark on this journey of wedging a t56 under the trans tunnel of a certain 945. Are there many bolt on bellhousings available now for the t56 to bolt to the back of a redblock? I currently have a 350 v8 bellhousing for the t56, and a gm trans adapter to volvo redblock, but noticed the starter is in a different location on the v8 bellhousing. Just a cut away from success i assume. But then there's the issue of pedals, and what clutch/pressure plate ,combo to run, that will tolerate the abuse i am about to throw at this combo.I saw that fancy lightened flywheel on ebay from sts , but it doesn't appeal to me, having driven cars with lightened flywheels before-meh!So i will be looking for pedals for a 9 series and a lh2.4 flywheel. I'm thinking , maybe taking the pressure plate from a 7 series up to a clutch shop and have them rework the plate for much more clamping force and relign the clutch, as no stock volvo clutch will last long in this car, unless there is another well known combo out there that works ?Hx52 should be here soon.Maybe it's a hx55, not sure the difference but this one has a 16cm housing. 66mm compressor.

Back