• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

"RallyBrick" -- Rally 242R

Prior to Ramada, we ran the smaller regional rally, the 2006 Gorman Ridge Rally. The car was finished in a hurry to run. At the time, we had a B230FT out of a 93 940T, a synchro M45, an open diff, and a puny driveline. We almost died on the third stage, going downhill too fast to hit soft stuff, hit the brakes to find I had way too much rear bias, almost went over a berm, and then down what I swore was a 1000' cliff. I know the roads now, and it's more like a gentle 200' hill, but the cliff was a better story.

First big jump on the Wheatfield stage.
main.php

Big brother / little brother.
main.php

Some crazy man who was allowed to ride in the silly seat (younger brother = navvie).
main.php

That's the wild-eye look of a man totally immersed in the insanity of a rally. Constantly cheating death, tempting fate, dehydrated, and invincible. Eff yeah!

We DNF'd with a driveline failure. Apparently the gravel spray destroyed one of the driveline u-joints. We went to a local shop (WENCO - run by a desert bike racer and a really good guy), who makes stuff for everything. We ended up with a driveshaft fit for a trophy truck. The rest of the car will break before the driveline ever does.

We got our kicks that rally. It was an initiation that found us devoting lots and lots and lots of time and money to go out and be silly in the dirt. But it was fun.

Rallybrick Air Force

A few shots of the "air force".

Gorman 2007. I didn't listen to my navvie on the stage notes when he told me downhill -> very rough and we hit some REALLY ROUGH stuff and a water bar that bounced us into the rocks and bushes off-course. This "excursion", as we like to call them, pushed the front end in and broke the lights. Ironically, the bend in the hood actually improved the airflow in the engine compartment and we ran cooler. I had another stage and a half to run plus a transit (about 15 miles) before we could address the damage. The car was overheating and the shifter had popped out of its socket -- I didn't know this -- and wondered why every time I shifted into 1st, it was grinding. Turned out that was actually Reverse we were shifting into at 20 mph and the shifter wasn't stopping at the lock out.

Once at service, it took a chain to the front, backing away from a parked truck, and a fat guy jumping on the hood to get it into shape to finish the rally. I think we were 2nd in class that race. This is the "press on regardless" spirit of rally.

Good views of the skid plate, too. This isn't just a belly pan -- it goes all the way back past the back of the transmission.
main.php

All these shots by Ronnie Arnold, Speed-pics.com

Prescott Rally 2007. Just a few weeks after Gorman, we didn't have time to put a proper front clip back on the car.
main.php

This is after hitting a cattle guard at the top of a crest at about 100mph or so. I don't actually have a speedo in the car, but we were revving hard in 5th gear (T5).
main.php

A little nose heavy due to the giant skid plate. I probably lifted a little there, too.
main.php

That's Al K. He builds a rally brick and lives in California (home of CRS) but only rallies it in the Pacific NorthWest. Boo! Boo!

(Nice guy, but he needs to rally in his home state before the commies push us out). :-P

okay, the guy that comes into my store showed me a picture of his car.

its an evo7 (i believe) red and white.

says hes getting it ready, but that with how much hes spent on it so far, that the length of the event may become cost prohibitive....

Underneath Bits

This is really what the life of owning a race car is like. Return on investment is probably worse than a boat. Oh well.

main.php

(Prior to some major cage upgrades -- we've got an X in the rear stays now plus some more diagonals in the main hoop).

So what does it look like under there? Oh, did you want to see? Come have a look...

The teflon coated slip joint for the Wenco driveshaft (note big bearing and the custom support bracket fabbed by St. George Motorsports, some Class 14 offroad friends of mine):
main.php

Front shaft comparison -- stock compared to new Wenco (the slip joint is reversed on the Wenco -- and yes, the stock is broken at the U-joint):
main.php

Rear shaft comparison:
main.php

Installed (with the old crappy exhaust and temporary rear end -- the exposure is bad, but you'll also see a lot of HDPE in the upper right to protect the fuel lines):
main.php

Later on, with the T5Z and another custom-fabricated mount from St. George Motorsports. Sometimes we were so under the gun on fabrication that we built it, raced it, then pulled it off and painted it later. (Note the trailing edge of the sump guard/skid plate):
main.php

There's "Billy HD" and then there's his ass-kicking brothers:
main.php

That's Al K. He builds a rally brick and lives in California (home of CRS) but only rallies it in the Pacific NorthWest. Boo! Boo!

(Nice guy, but he needs to rally in his home state before the commies push us out). :-P

Who is that grumpy looking guy in the navie seat though?

Vini Vidi Vici

New paint scheme...

You talkin' ta me?!
main.php

main.php

Very little JUNK in the TRUNK...
main.php

Belly pans are for sissies -- 6061 is for men...
main.php

Truth in Advertising (because she is)...
main.php

The Office...
main.php

(Where's the Secretary?)
main.php

Crazy Person's POV
main.php

7ish (but 20psi under load)...
main.php

Lazy in the Driveway, but alert and ready for Gerry...
main.php

Stack them 242's up like cordwood...
main.php

Indeed, They Don't
main.php

Last edited:
We'll come in low out of the rising sun...

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

100+mph rally. First time I'd been in the car and driven it hard in 2 1/2 years; co-driver hadn't raced since 1997 or ever read pace notes (but has rallied since before I was alive). We were running 5th - 6th overall until stage 7 (of 8) when we got a little wide after some bad ruts and spun at 100mph (after about 5 miles at 120 mph). We couldn't get it restarted right away, but she finally got going again, knocking us down to 16th. Better to finish than to crash.

More on-course photos (some super sweet) when I can negotiate it. Good times.

Any engine bay shots?

No. Ugly but functional right now. We had a fuel rail fire a few races ago and the current hood came from another car that had a separate engine fire, so it's kind of dark in there. With some time off between the next few races and the exterior finally being finished, I might actually spend some time making it look nice.

I need to update this thread, anyway.

Mudflaps are LDPE, purchased here:

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=508

They are simply bolted into the inner fender using large fender washers to minimize tearing and a zip-tie at the upper corner. Some people use aluminum L channel and trim it into 2" (or so) sections and then bolt that to the outer portion of the fender as well. The latter is good if you're trimming the mudflap to fit the contour of the car. We had enough space to mount them inside the fender well, so we didn't worry about the brackets.

Last edited:
Back