• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 Rex Regina idle win

#!rolls2

Hi all, first post to this forum. Thought I might share the following for whatever its worth.

I've owned and operated/maintained Volvos since the mid seventies. I've never been "stumped" with a problem (well, not for too long, anyway...) on any of them. I've owned a 445, a 544, a half dozen 122s, k-jet, 2.2, 2.4 - you get the picture...

Until recently, I would have said that I love them all. I can no longer say that because back in November, I succomed to a minty '91 Rex/Regina 745. It is an exceedingly well kept 120k dealer maintained car that idled like crap. It's crappy idle would show it's ugly face both in and out of gear.

I'm no stranger to stage zeroing a car - it was done and done right. Compression is 160s on all four. Leakdown is 10%ish on all four as well. Fuel pressure 43lbs WOT, 36 at idle. (800 ft. above sea level here). You can see your reflection inside the throttle body. Rex and Regina both pinned out within spec.

Admittedly, I haven't purchased a new VDO IAC valve. At the same time, I have tried three different (cleaned) used ones. No joy, until this afternoon.

I installed a nasty old "wo out" 2.4 Bosch IAC valve (2 pin) just for yucks and the car idled like a NA Volvo should idle - maybe for the first time in many years - who knows. I drove the car for 35 miles with no codes (apart from the what should have been factory installed 3-2-1) surfacing.

Go figure. Who's to say, maybe a new VDO IAC would give the same results, but something in me doubts it. I've never "futzed" with a Volvo more in my life... the thing just ain't a Volvo, in this respect.

Forgive the preachin' - hope someone takes something from this.

I humbly stand corrected.

My current '93 245 came from Bowling Green - about an hour up the road from you if I remember right.

I'll post some eventually - maybe. That being said, I'm an old man just now trying to get a handle on coppying and pasting... Now get off my lawn just as soon as you explain this whole internet thing to me! (Do I have to say "just kidding"? Really? Is this proper forum etiquette?)

I'll post some eventually - maybe. That being said, I'm an old man just now trying to get a handle on coppying and pasting... Now get off my lawn just as soon as you explain this whole internet thing to me! (Do I have to say "just kidding"? Really? Is this proper forum etiquette?)

:lol: I learned very quickly that if you're easily butthurt, turbobricks isn't the forum for you. That being said, no "just kidding" needed. It honestly took me like a month to figure out how to post pictures. All you need to do is upload them to www.photobucket.com as a hosting site and them embed them in your message.

Thanks for the info. I'll get around to it eventually, but right now my head hurts from too much Regina.

I live near Athens - more or less N.E. Ga. "Redneck?" - I resemble that remark dear sir...

" The updated 93+ Regina ecu runs a lot better."

So I'm told. I pulled a S101560101E Regina unit from a '93 940 and the car wouldn't even start. Perhaps it needs it's Rex mate (pulled by someone else from the car I got the Regina unit from). I have heard that the Regina cars have two different pickup rings, though I have never verified this for myself.

I'm intrigued by the fact that you guys are talking to the e-prom chips in the lh cars with this megasquirt - whatever it is. Anyone had any luck getting megasquirt to speak GM with a French accent?

I think He who is Devoid of Luxury described it best - "Regina are theoretically only 1990-1993 7/9 n/a automatic 4cylinder SOHC I believe North American (maybe even U.S.A) only. The 90-92 ones were so buggy t was rediculous." Believe me, lh 2.4 is worthy of your love.

I think He who is Devoid of Luxury described it best - "Regina are theoretically only 1990-1993 7/9 n/a automatic 4cylinder SOHC I believe North American (maybe even U.S.A) only. The 90-92 ones were so buggy t was rediculous." Believe me, lh 2.4 is worthy of your love.

So if I'm to buy a 900 series after the 90's, make sure it's turbo?

So if I'm to buy a 900 series after the 90's, make sure it's turbo?

I have seen plenty of NA Bosch lh 2.4 '94 / '95 940s. (No 900s after 1998 - 1995 in the U.S.- someone please correct me if I'm wrong). That being said, if you are to buy a 900 series car, make sure it's a turbo, regardless of manufacture year. Your '93 245 is one of the finest cars ever made. A 940 turbo is not only one of the finest cars ever made, it is one of the most fun to drive cars ever made - at least in this old man's opinion.

I have seen plenty of NA Bosch lh 2.4 '94 / '95 940s. (No 900s after 1998 - 1995 in the U.S.- someone please correct me if I'm wrong). That being said, if you are to buy a 900 series car, make sure it's a turbo, regardless of manufacture year. Your '93 245 is one of the finest cars ever made. A 940 turbo is not only one of the finest cars ever made, it is one of the most fun to drive cars ever made - at least in this old man's opinion.

My 245 isn't in perfect condition:/ interior is pretty damned nice but the clear coat is fading. I also have a 93 244 (my first volvo) and its a pile.

Back