• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

thoughts on IPD turbo exhaust

and have them laugh at you because you want: 1. 3" piping on a Volvo...which in their eyes cannot be done, 2. laugh at you because you want MANDREL bends, which they don't have the facilities to do, and 3. laugh at you because you want it to last forever, which is funny to them because lifetime warranty to them is spraypaint

ipd's exhuast fits well, sounds good, performs very nicely up to about 300hp or so (which is where 3" becomes an advantage), is made from stainless, and can be found used on this and other websites at a considerable savings

or..have them make you a good 2.5 system w/ a resonator and an absorbtion muff..if you kive yor money to someone who laughs at you, your manhood is in question, i am sure you can find a shop that will make you anything you want, i would go w/the ipd as a last resort, even after a glasspack on the downpipe.

unless you find it used, i got my system off sam's (death)wagon

It's a very good quality system at a more than reasonable price for what it is. I doubt that one can get a custom mandrel bent system in stainless for significantly less than what iPd sells it for. A good quality stainless straight through muffler would run at least $100 already, so.

Yes, it's like a lot of money for the typical t-bricker, but that's because it's not something kludged together like a typical t-bricker either. :-P

-- Kane ... I should know, as my welds look like crap!

I might just have to custom build my own. oh and **** glasspack! I hate the sound of rice, that's what I associate with it.

It depends what you want. If you wanted maximum performance for the buck and an exhaust that went the length of the car and performed a muffling function, a 3" crush bent to the back with decent but inexpensive aluminized straight through muffler set would probably do the trick.
The IPD one has very good fit, is stainless and 2.5" ID mandrel bent. Great for someone who wants to have a quiet 1 muffler clean setup that will last and flow well especially if one got rid of the stock cat and DP. I ended up going 3" because I got a decent deal on a used 3" and wanted to replace the stock cat and muffler anyway. Mine is painted aluminized, but it hasn't rusted at all. Oh, and 2.5" is less fit fiddly, quieter, etc.

I put in an ipd turbo cam; lost some bottom-midrange torque.
Put in the ipd exhaust(end-of-year bonu$, otherwise it's a bit pricey); got it all back.
Didn't even trip the sound meter(93dbA) at Laguna Seca.
It looks ricier than it sounds.

stylngle2003 said:
and have them laugh at you because you want: 1. 3" piping on a Volvo...which in their eyes cannot be done, 2. laugh at you because you want MANDREL bends, which they don't have the facilities to do, and 3. laugh at you because you want it to last forever, which is funny to them because lifetime warranty to them is spraypaint

If they're laughing at you, they're not the right shop for you, IMO.

And a 3" should help spool the turbo faster?

peehound said:
I put in an ipd turbo cam; lost some bottom-midrange torque.
Put in the ipd exhaust(end-of-year bonu$, otherwise it's a bit pricey); got it all back.
Didn't even trip the sound meter(93dbA) at Laguna Seca.
It looks ricier than it sounds.

It's good to hear that the exhuast will bring back that torque. I did the same thing on my 88 B230ft and experienced the same thing. I also used the adjustable cam gear and it has helped. Next is the exhaust and brown tops:-D

Scott

I had a shop I have been dealing with for years run a custom catback exhaust. It was 2.5" pipe with one Summit Turbo muffler tucked up where the last muffler goes. You know that the 740 T has 2 mufflers in factory trim, I discarded one. It looks great and sounds good, not loud at all, even when full throttle is applied. All said and done for $ 100 with me providing the $ 15 Summit turbo muffler. Did they laugh, not at all and it is mandrel bent.

I just recently installed the ipd set up and I love it. I didn't want my car to sound like the local ricer cars. It is just loud enogh to piss people off especially the guys running the 90 hp hondas. Its not a bad deal for the money, I had the local shop quote me a 3 in setup from the cat back and they wanted about 450 for mandrel bent. It all depends on what you are looking for.

love mine on my R...quite, smooth, mellow...i wonder how that will change w/ a 3'in dp...sigh

Dauntless said:
If they're laughing at you, they're not the right shop for you, IMO.

And a 3" should help spool the turbo faster?

hasn't happened to me, well it has, but i wasn't being serious about getting a shop to do a 3"...i'm doing my own eventually

yes, it will help the turbo spool a lot, and will likely increase peak boost by 1-1.5psi

matt said:
I had a shop I have been dealing with for years run a custom catback exhaust. It was 2.5" pipe with one Summit Turbo muffler tucked up where the last muffler goes. You know that the 740 T has 2 mufflers in factory trim, I discarded one. It looks great and sounds good, not loud at all, even when full throttle is applied. All said and done for $ 100 with me providing the $ 15 Summit turbo muffler. Did they laugh, not at all and it is mandrel bent.

sorry to hear that...but at least you didn't spend a lot of money on the crummy Turbo muffler, for $15 it's probably a decent bargain. wwatch the shelves at advance autoparts, cuz every once in a while, they do mail in rebates for Dynomax ultraflo mufflers (for instance, i got my 3" in/out ultraflo for $75, but it came with a $50 mail in rebate :badboy: ), which will greatly help the performance of your engine. you see, "turbo" mufflers aren't meant for/ideal for turbo cars AT ALL, because they have internal baffles, which restrict airflow downstream of the turbo...a decidedly bad thing. so, once you get a few extra bucks, have the shop throw on a dynomax ultraflo or similar STRAIGHT THROUGH muffler, and get em to do a 3" magnaflow or carsound cat too (about $65 on ebay), and then let us know how much you love it :-D

boosted740 said:
I just recently installed the ipd set up and I love it. I didn't want my car to sound like the local ricer cars. It is just loud enogh to piss people off especially the guys running the 90 hp hondas. Its not a bad deal for the money, I had the local shop quote me a 3 in setup from the cat back and they wanted about 450 for mandrel bent. It all depends on what you are looking for.

yea, same here. i mean, andy got a "3.5 inch" exhaust installed locally, but it is crush bent. even at its smallest point tho, its at least 2.75" inside diameter. his cost, i believe, was somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 including a high flow cat and dynomax ultraflo, but then again, it's aluminized steel. mandrel bent stainless would be in the neighborhood of 800 with a stainless cat, stainless flex, and stainless muffler....aka too much

I'm gonna go out on a limb and knock it before I try it. I really think you can get an aluminized steel system made up for less than the cost of fancy stainless steel. After all it is underneath your car right? You see 8 maybe 10 inches of your exhaust total from outside the car...

vince, i'm not considering the SS system from ipd bc it's pretty, instead for its corrosion resitance...they DO salt round these parts :grrr:. alumized would be great (esp. on a rarely driven/race car/warmer climate vehicle) and IS great from a cost standpoint, but for Mary's DD, we're going SS bc it will likely outlast the car, which means lower replacement costs down the line

Back