• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

USB charger

I did this panel jack, in about the same time frame (2006-07), specifically for ipod, but today you can get a two-socket switching converter that plugs into the cigar lighter jack for $5, and if you think they are clunky (they are) I hear you can get one that's nearly flush if you spend closer to what its worth. Some bright person figured out all that wasted space inside the cigar lighter plug was a good spot for the switching regulator.

Has anyone done this for a 240?

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=109613

One of the blanks in the console switch panel is begging for it.

What the hell, man, you have the same haunts I do.
My only reluctance to go for something like that is that a stereo head unit which includes a USB port for charging, AND A BUNCH MORE, is not a bunch more money. If you had a gang of people in the car and two of these were at the rear of the console for them to plug in and charge, well, that would be pretty considerate and awesome. Other than that location, I struggle to make it seem worthwhile. Maybe on an e39 or similar with a head unit you don't want to mess with replacing, but a 240? Not for me. Cool product though for some.

Back