• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1993 940 T needs a new fuel pump

ktm450

The latest thing to fail on this lemon 940 T is the fuel pump. After driving it for a while, it will start a loud buzzing/screeching noise. I am surprised it failed at only 125000 miles. Anyway, I am shopping around for the best price. Rock auto is 85.00 but 9.00 shipping. Of course, I want a bosch. I don't think I have seen it for any less than that. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

The latest thing to fail on this lemon 940 T is the fuel pump. After driving it for a while, it will start a loud buzzing/screeching noise. I am surprised it failed at only 125000 miles. Anyway, I am shopping around for the best price. Rock auto is 85.00 but 9.00 shipping. Of course, I want a bosch. I don't think I have seen it for any less than that. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

If you can get for real bosch from rock auto for 85.00 you better jump on it.

Someone here had a boat load of used take outs for cheap awhile back.

Do you have Bosch or Rex/Regina fuel injection?

The Regina system uses a single, high pressure pump inside the fuel tank.
The Bosch system uses a low pressure in-tank pump and a in-line high pressure pump.
This pump is located under the car.

It's important to select the proper pump.

Hope this helps

Rockauto

Rock Auto had the best price when I replaced mine recently. If you're doing the filter (recommended) , make sure it comes with new washers I do not believe the Bosch filter currently comes with them.

An impact wrench really helps with the removal. Everything tightened up well with hand tools.

Did you confirm your tank pump is good? If it is bad or there is a restriction/kink in the hose it will make the main pump struggle.

Do you have Bosch or Rex/Regina fuel injection?

The Regina system uses a single, high pressure pump inside the fuel tank.
The Bosch system uses a low pressure in-tank pump and a in-line high pressure pump.
This pump is located under the car.

It's important to select the proper pump.

Hope this helps

All Turbo cars came with Bosch fuel injection. Regina was only used on NA cars.

Sorry for the long delay before responding back to this post. Thanks for all of the responses. Looks like rockauto or amazon are the best options. Yes, it is bosch. Also, agree on having to use an impact to get the banjo bolts loose. I have driven old volvos for almost 40 years, and this is the first fuel pump that I have ever had to replace. Even after my 1980 242 sat for 4 years, and had a tank full of rust.I have done filters of course, but never had a pump fail. The Bosch stuff is just amazing. I have not confirmed that the tank pump is good yet, but I will.Thanks!

As stated above, make sure the tank pump is good. I just replaced a dead tank pump in a car that sat for a few years. The main pump was *extremely* loud. Replacing the tank pump helped a bit but the damage was done. After that i went to the junkyard and dropped the entire fuel tray + fittings from a mid 90s 960. Installed it and the main pump is quiet as ever. $27 out the door.

You don't need an impact and you might mangle everything up using one. You need a counter hold which can be a ratchet or breaker bar on the opposite side(which should be a 19 mm bolt head on the side facing engine, the other side will be a 17 mm bolt head.

You don't need an impact and you might mangle everything up using one. You need a counter hold which can be a ratchet or breaker bar on the opposite side(which should be a 19 mm bolt head on the side facing engine, the other side will be a 17 mm bolt head.

Probably correct, but I’ve used and impact with good results. Obviously don’t overdue it. If you’re not familiar with the strength of your impact, i would not use one.

And,then theres the danger of damaging the little 50.00 hose is a possibility. I have somehow been able to avoid that changing out filters. Once those banjo bolts and copper washers lock in, they are hard to loosen. I have mangled filter casings trying to get them loose without an impact. But, I didn't think of putting a socket on the opposite end. But, that would loosen one end, what about the other "holder" bolt?

And,then theres the danger of damaging the little 50.00 hose is a possibility. I have somehow been able to avoid that changing out filters. Once those banjo bolts and copper washers lock in, they are hard to loosen. I have mangled filter casings trying to get them loose without an impact. But, I didn't think of putting a socket on the opposite end. But, that would loosen one end, what about the other "holder" bolt?

If we’re talking about the same piece, the filter will have a fixed hex head on it. It’s part of the casting of the filter. You are probably supposed to hold the filter in place with an open end wrench, and then tighten down the banjo bolt.

That being said, i usually just blip it with the impact carefully. When i did this a week or so ago, it started leaking a day later. I jacked up the car, blipped it a bit more, and no more leak. I was just easy on it to begin with so i didn’t destroy anything.

Also that little section of 3” hose+fitting seems to be pretty stout. I would pull one from the JY before i paid $50 for one :omg:. No real reason for them to go bad in most climates, they don’t get bent or twisted if you’re using them properly.

Here’s a genuine Volvo one for $45 and some change.
https://www.ipdusa.com/products/12486/125923-fuel-line-coupler

They also sell an aftermarket for nearly half the price. Not sure on quality though.

Back