• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 eftersom rallybil

Replaced the rear subframe on Friday evening. I welded a few braces on it before putting it in. We're headed to koh on Thursday night after work.

My new house has a nice place to flex it out.

looks like fun. what's the plan with the front suspension? gonna make a beefy subframe and lengthen the arms for mega travel?

Just got home from koh. Went out and I noticed right away when I was unloading the car that it was down on power and really laggy. I checked a few things out and don't see anything obvious. We drove around all day Friday and it was really down on power in the sand and trying to climb. I didn't think much of it and was thinking the cat was beginning to plug up or something. That night we were over at chocolate thunder and I did the jump out of the wash a few times. Good air and car was running decent till we were headed back to hammer town. I got on it in the sand and it started pinging bad. I let off and it would ping very easily. When I slowed down it was missing and knocking. I feared the worse but was able to limp it to camp. I let it cool and started it back up and it cranked like it had no compression. I took a guess that it blew the headgasket between cylinders because there was no blowby or water oil mixing.
So I called and ordered a head set in the nearest town. We ran into yucca valley on Saturday morning and got the parts. I swapped the headgasket at camp in about 2 hours and confirmed that it blew between 1-2. So when I pullled the head off I set the timing marks all where they're supposed to be and found the cam was retarded a tooth. Put it all together and beat the crap out it Saturday and half day Sunday before heading home.
Towed the Volvo and a friends b2 out there with my dually.

Parked at camp Friday morning

Top of chocolate thunder.

Bottom of chocolate thunder

And then...

Random pics from Saturday after fixing the headgasket

Had a good time out in ocotillo wells again. We went out for the Tierra Del sol event but ended up staying on the south side of hwy 78 most of the weekend. Did a bunch of trails and wash running all weekend. It was nice and empty since everyone was over at the tds event. Car was flawless all weekend.
Since it rained out there a few weeks ago the flowers have made a carpet and the desert is green and blooms.

The other thing that happens when it rains is the washes get sharp edges and become deeper. I ran into a deep one and plowed the other side testing the volvos tractor abilities. I thought I had broken something but to my surprise it was all fine.

The rockers are showing some wear but I'm more pressed to get the fuel tank into the trunk. It's tearing the straps and I've even pushed the pump up into the floor. One of these days I'll change the transmission mount too. It's been missing since about 2 weeks after I got this thing. It all works for now and I need to concentrate on getting my other offroad toy working. Then I can finish my toterhome and then I'll put the car under the knife and go full long travel.

Took the car out up on a local trail again. It did great except on the way home. The trail is pretty rough and I'd guess 10 miles ea way. On the way home we had gotten back to the street and came around a turn to a big deer. And as a deer must do it's deer thing it jumped out in front of us at 50-55mph. I hit the brakes and it promptly locked all 4 wheels up. We slid for 50ish feet and somehow missed the deer. After that though the car would shake the left front violently over 25mph. I limped it home and found the left lower control arm ovaled out the bolt holes and had come loose. With the lightly bent wheel it would make it wobble and shake. I tightened the bolt as best I could and it fixed it. I think slamming on the brakes did it with the big tires.

I am currently on the lookout for a shell so I can mockup a new front suspension. I found a 92 wagon for 750$ that I'll keep a eye on to see if it will drop in price.
Top of the mountain

One of the highest points in Sandiego

Back