• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 16valve turbo build "drift machine"

mannygee740

sup guys... im fairly new to this thread stuff but i thought nothing would be cooler than to get peoples opinions on my project ideas and builds... so i currently own a volvo 740 gle N/A with the stock volvo 4 speed transmission... my original build idea was to make a somewhat BAMSES styled single cam monster but i recently found a 16 valve b234f head at a junkyard and the car had no more than 120 k on it !!! im planning on getting a 91 b230ft bottom block *(i heard the cylinder walls have an oil cooling system and it sounds absolutely enjoyable lol) rsi waveguided low compression pistons, rsi forged rods, a crank shaft out of a volvo penta to convert it to a stroker (still not sure about this, i dont kno alot about displacement increase and boost) like i said im new to volvo, rwd, and turbochargers so this is all still confusing. i got alotta questions so if someone would like to help me it would be greatly apprectiated

im planning on getting a 91 b230ft bottom block *(i heard the cylinder walls have an oil cooling system and it sounds absolutely enjoyable lol)

Well, firstly, hello!

And secondly, the above quoted section; You'll want a as-late-as-possible (read: Post-'93) B230FT block if you're going for piston-cooling oil squirters.

Squirters can be added to any block.....

Got a buddy that'll be looking the other way when it comes to smog time?

I'm gonna be keeping my stock motor and exhaust in my shed for when I need to smog... I'm an ex Honda kid so I know the smog struggle:-D but about adding the squirters... How do I do this?

I'm also rebuilding my stock motor and +t it and doing a t5 tranny swap! I already have the bellhousing and everything i need from vperformance just no transmission! I have a wide budget due to the fact that I'm taking my sweet ass time to build it

save your money for the "added displacment" and put it to more parts. the .2L is close to nothing.

I have a Garrett turbo with stock headers that spool perfect and I found someone to trade me for the penta forged crankshaft! And it's not really the displacement I'm after its more the stronger bottom end! I'm scared of destroying my crank during a constant high rev session so I'd like the added security of forged! Even tho they do wear out your pistons

I had a feeling a TB member was the one that snagged the 16V head and intake from the Modesto yard. I was just out there this weekend. There are advantages to the 16V head (better breathability), but with the drawback of being able to bend valves (if the T-belt snaps). It is a straight bolt on, but you'll need valve reliefs in the pistons. Here is a good write up on it.
http://yoshifab.com/images/volvo/16v%20head%20swap.htm

And here is the link on how to provide your non-squirter block with squirters.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=115422

Wait, is your car the one with the funky mirrors?
Edit-

IMG_20130527_131909_zps55c92225.jpg

Thanks douchenozzle �� it's still in the works... I'm gonna try and build my own coilover suspension cuz 740 suspension is wayyyy to expensive!

Someone weld together a custom exhaust mani for me :omg: 780 bucks for one seems a tad expensive for just headers

Go ahead. See if you can beat Nathan's build quality and design characteristics. And get it all to fit.

This isn't Honda land. We don't have 40 Chinese vendors making crappy products.

Lol I kno that, I'm talking about a custom one, not a cheap eBay one.. I have enough to get the headers but it's just hard letting almost 800 bucks go for just headers... But oh well I want wats best for my car! Quality over quantity

Back