• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

16V Turbo timing belt screwup

Ilvmetal

Just got my Blue gates timing belt to freshen up the motor before putting it in my 740.
After 12 hour of electrical work on site, one is not thinking clearly. I marked cams, crank, etc but not the AUX shaft. Iv'e put on plenty of non turbo 16V belts but have the rear cover as a reference point.
I run a CAS so the pulling the cap and looking wont work.
Looking for help to find the TDC mark on the gear.
Having a huge spring sale in the NY area of my 20 years of inventory.
Those Four 532 heads in the back will be going cheap!!
XgcbiWK.jpg

aQxsm1b.jpg

rriRVAb.jpg

When you say you're running a CAS, do you mean a DSM CAS in the distributor spot?

You can pull the cap and set the position by looking at the trigger wheel, you just need to know what you're looking for. Go to here: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=224740 and scroll down a little to where there's a pic of how the CAS should look at TDC #1. Of course, the pic is of the Yoshifab high-res trigger wheel, but the theory is similar for the stock trigger wheel.

And assuming that you're running something like MS, you might want to go into Tunerstudio and lock it to 10 degrees fixed advance and then fine tune the CAS position with a timing light.

When you say you're running a CAS, do you mean a DSM CAS in the distributor spot?

You can pull the cap and set the position by looking at the trigger wheel, you just need to know what you're looking for. Go to here: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=224740 and scroll down a little to where there's a pic of how the CAS should look at TDC #1. Of course, the pic is of the Yoshifab high-res trigger wheel, but the theory is similar for the stock trigger wheel.

And assuming that you're running something like MS, you might want to go into Tunerstudio and lock it to 10 degrees fixed advance and then fine tune the CAS position with a timing light.
yes to the DMS.
Man I must have done 50 timing belts and a lot of them for friends and families of course my motor I screw up!

If you are feeling lazy you can rotate it to TDC and then pull the CAS adapter, rotate it to the correct position, and then reinsert it. And then note how far it rotated as it went own (angled gear teeth), pull it, compensate, reinsert.

Or just loosen the belt, rotate everything to the correct position, retighten.

It's a bigger PITA on my 16V because I don't have any crank timing marks. Heh. I just pull #1 plug and use a feeler down in the hole to find TDC each time I set up the belt.

since you're using the cas, it doesn't actually matter aside from tdc angle.

but the smooth notch between teeth is the tdc marker, and it points out at the frame rails.

personally, I don't worry about it. get it close, strobe it to set the tdc angle, move on.

If you are feeling lazy you can rotate it to TDC and then pull the CAS adapter, rotate it to the correct position, and then reinsert it. And then note how far it rotated as it went own (angled gear teeth), pull it, compensate, reinsert.

Or just loosen the belt, rotate everything to the correct position, retighten.

It's a bigger PITA on my 16V because I don't have any crank timing marks. Heh. I just pull #1 plug and use a feeler down in the hole to find TDC each time I set up the belt.

Well I don't have the belt on yet. I thought I remember somewhere there was an additional mark on the block other that the cover.

We'll the aux gear timing mark lines up with the plastic cover mark on the 8v motors. Look at where the mark is on the plastic cover and put your aux shaft cam gear mark there and hope that was where it was last time the motor ran. Otherwise like stated easy to adjust it later and get it right with timing light. The only critical thing about it is the distributor timing. Otherwise it doesn't matter. Like in a stock 740 they have the head distributor so when you do the timing belt it doesn't matter where that aux shaft lines up at.

I can go take a look at where the mark is and take a pic and post that so you know where it is.

auxgearalignment.jpg

See the alignment pin is where the mark is on the gear?? See that?

auxgearclose.jpg

Here is a close up of it without the gear in the way, looks like the lower corner of that aluminum nub is where the plastic cover alignment mark is.

Last edited:
We'll the aux gear timing mark lines up with the plastic cover mark on the 8v motors. Look at where the mark is on the plastic cover and put your aux shaft cam gear mark there and hope that was where it was last time the motor ran. Otherwise like stated easy to adjust it later and get it right with timing light. The only critical thing about it is the distributor timing. Otherwise it doesn't matter. Like in a stock 740 they have the head distributor so when you do the timing belt it doesn't matter where that aux shaft lines up at.

I can go take a look at where the mark is and take a pic and post that so you know where it is.

auxgearalignment.jpg

See the alignment pin is where the mark is on the gear?? See that?

auxgearclose.jpg

Here is a close up of it without the gear in the way, looks like the lower corner of that aluminum nub is where the plastic cover alignment mark is.
Just a big THANK YOU!!
Your always coming through for people on this board and
you just saved me from 4 hours of crawling around my 16v parts car.
Now I am as confidant as Van damme:)
giphy.gif

Once you get the aux shaft lined up, make a new set of marks on the gear and block at 12 O’clock.
Those marks at 3 O’clock are hard to see from the top.

Back