• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

89 740 NA project.

Hi 7,

I've worked intimately with people like Hugh Cobb( rockford beta tester) and Jay Lovelace( creative acoustics). Who crushed Alma Gates several times in the worlds loudest. We've dealt with each other for a very long time. My shop would simply turn u away versus argue with you over money. The best line for privately owned shop owners and smart customers who need there radio installed is GOTO BEST BUYS and hang out with the GEEK squad.

I was gonna stay out, cause I don't know a lot about car audio (or really audio in general, my brother got all of that and just sadly not much in the way of upward work ethic.. I like it loud and no distortion, but beyond that I'm generally good), but I did a stint in car audio when I worked at best buy.. that was 15 years ago, but still geeez it was bad, and the folks we had were (allegedly) pretty good...well one or two of em was, the others, not so much. it was a mess, the sales tactics were terrible, and the selection of stuff that was decent, even by my own poor standards, was meager at best. I have an alpine amp I picked up because the discount was good, but it hasn't found it's way back in a car in a long time. I'm sure it got reasonably loud but I couldn't speak to the overall quality, it wasn't an expensive piece before the discount.

I didn't much care for my exile to car-fi, I was much more at home on the tech bench/actual geek squad playing with computers. Our GM had a 7.3 excursion that had something crazy like 8 15's in the back (I don't know that he even had any seating behind the front seats), but I doubt all that with the custom enclosure was something he picked up from any bby store. it was pretty obscenely loud from what I recall, but I don't have anything else to compare it to. :shrug:

How many times have I fixed things installed there.....The world will never know. Im a certified computer tech and for me nothing is more boring than installing sound cards, removing viruses , setting up clouds and It related things. I find nothing interesting about it. The computer I love as a tool but repairing them is pretty boring for me. And course he didnt get a custom enclosure built there they don't keep a real table saw on deck. Best buys install poorly sealed pre fabricated boxes I can purchase at any flea market for about 60 bucks. Entry level.... They may have just screwed together a few of their pre fab boxes and covered them with one beauty board. Shops do this and charge you big buck as if they truly build an enclosure. Tricks you learn for speed at "REPUTABLE" shops......

Best buys has a huge reputation ...but it is hardly a positive one in real car stereo circles.

Last edited:
it's not great in most areas. when I left in 06 the geek squad was being switched over to some kind remote-cleanup thing.. I'm honestly surprised they didn't just push the "give us your restore discs and we'll reload your stuff" mantra that most other shops at the time pushed, but... eh. That was a quantum leap ago. the only time I swap hard parts now is on my own equipment, I moved up from datacenter ops 4 or 5 years ago. It is neat how well engineered some of the high dollar systems can be. I won't waste any more of your thread with that though.

You are right about the fact that not all the installers are bad. Usually if they have master installer status they are fairly capable to install remotes starts , alarms, etc. I actually worked with a one guy Pete who was a Celica all track tuner at the old one in pleasant valley promenade in Raleigh many years ago. He was a great installer as was Quincy Garrard, the brother of David Garrard, the former Jacksonville Jags quarterback. Quincy stills installs but has move on to home theater AFAIK.

YT
Hubert

60pewpu.jpg

I got a nice build of bed liner/sound deadener sprayed. Drying time is approximately 80-120 minute. The amp rack will hinged to the tongue of the processor rack pictured so that the spare can be easily accessed.

Regards
Hubert​

Back