• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

AW71 accumulator mod, how to reduce harsh neutral-drive

hessam69

I carried out an accumulator mod where the shims I made were almost (very close to) the same height as the springs.

The shift is now perfect in all gears, but the by-product is the very hard shift from neutral to drive.

1. Is there damage to be had long term from this,
2. How can I eliminate this harshness whilst still keeping the gear shifts the same? I don't want that to change.

Thanks in advance

Accumulator mod doesn't change how it shifts into drive, only shifts from 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 (which is why there's only 3 springs).

Is the car idling higher than spec?

It absolutely does affect how it shifts into drive. When you shift from neutral, it engages 1st, same as a 2-1 shift. If you find a stiffer spring for that accumulator instead of blocking it, that would firm the shift but not the same as blocked. 2-3x the rate of the stock spring would stiffen it up but not quite as harsh as blocked. I thought about going that route last time around, didn't have the parts to research length/rate prior to doing the mod.

It absolutely does affect how it shifts into drive. When you shift from neutral, it engages 1st, same as a 2-1 shift. If you find a stiffer spring for that accumulator instead of blocking it, that would firm the shift but not the same as blocked. 2-3x the rate of the stock spring would stiffen it up but not quite as harsh as blocked. I thought about going that route last time around, didn't have the parts to research length/rate prior to doing the mod.

If that's true, I retract my previous statement. I haven't noticed a hard shift into drive on my accumulator mods.

I carried out an accumulator mod where the shims I made were almost (very close to) the same height as the springs.

The shift is now perfect in all gears, but the by-product is the very hard shift from neutral to drive.

1. Is there damage to be had long term from this,
2. How can I eliminate this harshness whilst still keeping the gear shifts the same? I don't want that to change.

Thanks in advance
Any update?

So far I survived 120k on the last trans (not including the 180k it had on it when I pulled it), with the accumulators blocked, and a daily diet of 250-300whp, before I ended up loosing 2nd. Current trans is about 30k in, no issues. It's more of an annoyance.

With a little work to figure out stock spring rate and bump that up, it should be easily tuned out while still firming up the shifts, just gotta have a spare spring to measure and go from there.

Back