• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Wasted spark on LH2.4 with stock EZK

so, who is doing what for coil mounting? im making some standoff thatthread onto the valve cover studs and then bolting a phenallic plate to that to the coils willheave some heat protection and the plug wires stay short. after i get it done ill post pome pics. not quite sure on the coils im using. either 2nd gen rx-7 leading coils or some of the gm 2 post deals(its what i have) but i am gonna psend the cash on new wires. mine are probbalu 8 years old and im sure not in the best shape.

Some pics from the group-buy thread plus some new stuff:

Fresh batch of wasted spark boards:
photo.jpg

We also put this test rig together. The board goes in upside down so the pads contact a set of home made pogo pins. It allows us to quickly and easily test all the functions of each board.
photo.jpg

Here's the rig wired up to the test equipment, but without a wasted spark board "plugged in". Power supply on the left, oscilloscope on top, and function generator on the bottom. The function generator is feeding the EZK with a 60-2 sinewave (multiplying the function generator frequency by 60 yields the simulated RPM, in this case 92*60=5520RPM). The yellow trace is the converted VR signal that the wasted spark board taps in to. The blue trace shows the stock spark output signal.
photo%2525202.jpg

If you stick a working board in the test fixture, the bottom two traces pick up the demultiplexed spark signal. The arm and set buttons also allow us to test the launch control features.
photo%2525203.jpg

Regarding the COP coils mentioned for the 1ZZ FE, I can get my hands on the coils from a 2ZZ with the part number 90919-02238 would these work just as well? Also Karl are there any boards left or are they all sold? and if so will there be another group buy?

Cheers

Paul

Regarding the COP coils mentioned for the 1ZZ FE, I can get my hands on the coils from a 2ZZ with the part number 90919-02238 would these work just as well? Also Karl are there any boards left or are they all sold? and if so will there be another group buy?

Cheers

Paul
http://miataturbo.wikidot.com/cop Lists 90919-02239, but not 02238. They may be very similar, but I think you would have to compare them to the 1ZZ coils. If they have +12v, ground, and a 5v trigger then they should work.

You can definitely hook up four coils. Just wire them up in pairs, but with one coil driver per coil.

I know I have declared my lack of knowledge in these things, but wouldn't it make more sense to begin with the stuff from the S40's with the direct ignition?

That's what drew me to the idea in the first place - the idea that most of the stuff could come off the shelf, ready made. I always saw the difficulty in getting all the sensors to work though - but I would have thought using the S40 coil pack set up was first choice?

Cheers,

T

Last edited:
I know I have declared my lack of knowledge in these things, but wouldn't it make more sense to begin with the stuff from the S40's with the direct ignition?

That's what drew me to the idea in the first place - the idea that most of the stuff could come off the shelf, ready made. I always saw the difficulty in getting all the sensors to work though - but I would have thought using the S40 coil pack set up was first choice?

Cheers,

T

S40 stuff doesn't really make sense for several reasons, the sensors being the least of your problems. The stock coil sticks won't fit a 16v head, so you would need to change them for something non-stock. The S40's spark and fuel computers are integrated, so you can't have one without the other. As far as I know, S40 computers are tuneable, so you're stuck with whatever mapping is on them.

S40 stuff doesn't really make sense for several reasons, the sensors being the least of your problems. The stock coil sticks won't fit a 16v head, so you would need to change them for something non-stock. The S40's spark and fuel computers are integrated, so you can't have one without the other. As far as I know, S40 computers are tuneable, so you're stuck with whatever mapping is on them.

Well, that seems to shut off that angle of attack. :)

Thanks for replying Karl,

OC1 Output coil bank 1 (to 1-4 side of your coils)
IB1 Ignition bank 1 (from buchka spark 1-4
VB Voltage Battery 12+ switched
TAC Tacho output straight to your 240 tach if miata unit, IF dsm unit, wire in a 12+ pullup wire with 1k ohm resistor tied into tach line)
IGR 12+ passthrough (unused)
GND Self explanitory
IB2 Ignition input 2 (to 2-3 side of your coils)
OC2 Output coil 2 (from buchka spark 2-3)

Just quoting this as something seems off to me (or I might be being dumb) I have got my parts off an Mazda MX5 (Miata) but looking at the pinouts you have OC1 as the output to the coils but you have OC2 as the input from the Buchka spark board? Is this correct?

Also as these have been in the public domain for a few months now does anyone have some real world experience with the launch control function?

You're right, I think that pinout has IB2 and OC2 transposed. Can someone else (Brett?) confirm?

I don't know if anyone else has tried the launch control, but my friend who tested the original board in his daily driven 940 Turbo (who now runs a production board) has it hooked up. It works quite well.

Did he make up a bracket to fit the switch on the clutch pedal ??

I was considering teeing a pressure switch into the clutch fluid line, I presume this would work OK ??

it should be possible to reuse the cruisecontrol switch...?

@ karl. is there ans possibility to get a board within the next weeks?

i believe my 16v needs this ;)

Did he make up a bracket to fit the switch on the clutch pedal ??

I was considering teeing a pressure switch into the clutch fluid line, I presume this would work OK ??

Yeah, there's a bracket on the clutch pedal. I don't know how he did it, exactly.

I think teeing a pressure switch in seems like a very roundabout way of doing it, but I don't see why i wouldn't work.

it should be possible to reuse the cruisecontrol switch...?

@ karl. is there ans possibility to get a board within the next weeks?

i believe my 16v needs this ;)

I'm still waiting on some parts. I'll get a post up as soon as I have more boards ready to go out.

Back