• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

89 740 NA project.

ZmZaGwp.jpg

Starting to cook with Crisco now... flush all the way across :nod:

Regards
Hubert

qqk1THc.jpg

Sound deadener and EV cells. We may opt to a 120 volt monaural amplifier which will minimize the current draw at any power level as compared to a 12 volt system. With the 120 volt system 1200 watts would only draw 10 amperes. Taramps makes a high voltage line.​

LGuP7Js.jpg

I think 4 of these and the applicator gun was a little under $100.00. I prefer dyna mat but there is so many areas to cover that would be difficult with it and very time consuming.
It will also do the interior panels of the 740.​

Regards
Hubert

Xthjzkm.jpg

igF1JTX.jpg

The taramps arrived....:nod: we will try to get it going this evening but Id like at least 10 farads of electrolytic capacitance in addition to the cells​

Regards
Hubert

IuDnogF.jpg

One of the hydraulic crimpers I use with dies. The main power cable is triple 0

Ill post more here this evening after work....​

Last edited:
ZmZaGwp.jpg

Starting to cook with Crisco now... flush all the way across :nod:

Regards
Hubert

Have you considered anchoring the cabinet by other means than the foam? I don't know how well the foam would protect the occupants from a 70mph crash only to have a subwoofer plow into the driver's back... death by subwoofer. Just inquiring for safety reasons. It is an interesting use of the foam. I normally use it to plug holes in the house, but I suppose I could use it for the car as well.

Have you considered anchoring the cabinet by other means than the foam? I don't know how well the foam would protect the occupants from a 70mph crash only to have a subwoofer plow into the driver's back... death by subwoofer. Just inquiring for safety reasons. It is an interesting use of the foam. I normally use it to plug holes in the house, but I suppose I could use it for the car as well.

v0jLZFy.jpg

When you troll to be effective u should learn to read and understand photos first....and yea it is true that im MECP certified for 35 years and you know very little about high end car audio. Stick to the airy pockets in your home....because the foam isn't used for structural integrity "hear" It is used to help seal the trunk from the passenger cabin. Now come in here talking about car audio and don't get mad when I embarrass you stating facts! You have a low moral character or integrity because u've apologized twice and are back in troll mode once again... Do you have a mental issue or something or are you just not a man of your word. Do you see u have zero idea wtf you're talking about in my thread. Do you have any interesting topics of you own to share on turbobricks or do you just follow Hubert around asking inane questions formed from your lack of understanding like his ex he got rid of years ago.... ?
Jesus!

Understand I will never ask or need your advice on anything I do. So I hope you can handle that 'Im just going to ignore you from here like i have been and the trolling mike will remove. There's absolutely nothing for you to ever discuss with me. I don't care for you personally. There will never be a friendly bridge between us. You've been told this already but seem to have some issue understanding it and pine for worthless cyber drama because apparently you cant handle not talking to or following me. U need to find a life and accept I dont want you babydoll....I have no idea why you keep talking to me when I do not at all like you and have told you so. That's real harassment.​

Last edited:
Well it was a serious question... no need for the ad hominem attacks. It doesn't look like it's braced at all. I suppose in the image you just shared if you put the support panels back in it would prevent serious injury in the event of a frontal collision. I just didn't think the foam would be enough to stop the large inertial mass from breaking free and sliding forward under impact.

gjbw41t.jpg

Anyways... for the audiophiles, that are fully versed about the actual construction from reading here ,the owner wants me to run these on his high end. I personally think there are better options for class AB amplification but they rate at .04 thd. I'm not sure about the S/N ratio but my Zed audio series IIV Hifonics are .02 with a S/N >100 db. But this is what he wants in there so I simply install it..​

Regards
Hubert

Last edited:
Hmmm smooth and modern must be the Acura still. Needs more sharp corners lol

How is the 74O coming along?

Any leads yet on the +t stuff?

My sons been in buffalo the last 2 weeks and returns tomorrow. He has to buy the head gasket kit because he made the dumb error. I wont pay for that when he was advised prior. At 19 he should know better than to keep driving a car that has run hot on the indicator. I wont remove the head till then because there's no need. He also has the exhaust issue so id be crazy to remove the head and then put the raggedy exhaust back on. I found a turbo off a Volkswagen and one off a BMW but instead of buying a manifold for him Im going to buy a really nice on for mine and give him the stock turbo manifold. He wont move immediately when he gets back because he just purchased the new xbox..... a HIGH PRIORITY ON HIS LIST OF THINGS TO DO.....everything will take seconds accept the release of the new battlefield. :-P However once I get the head gasket set and check the head out we will figure out what route he wants to take with the exhaust and it will make its way back into view. I haven't forgot her but the audio work will be almost a mirror to this in reality. Sharing and working on this keeps me in the groove. When I get back to the 740 ill be in full stride again. In an out of trunks the back needs a rest once in awhile. I do 10 hours before I come home and ever touch this thing but from wed- sat im free. Some time will be set aside away from TB as Fathers day is coming up and I want to see if the chopper Bluefish and Spanish mackerel are interested in my new top water plugs and tricky dick spoons. If all a person does is sit on here they are missing alot of living. The cars are just one facet of my full life.

Regards,
Hubert

Last edited:
Ya... that hot mess would get you fired at a proper install shop. And possibly shot by the owner of the vehicle.

Gawd I hope you never decide to build an electric car.

Ya... that hot mess would get you fired at a proper install shop. And possibly shot by the owner of the vehicle.

Gawd I hope you never decide to build an electric car.
Thanks! 2500.00 collected in labor is all the affirmation I need. ;-) Unfortunately the shoddy 1000 square ft shop stays booked with jobs and I can barely keep up.

Thanks for your continued sideline analytics and support.
Hubert

I remember a lady who camped out in front of the local car stereo shop for 2 months with a bunch of big signs about how the shop had ripped her off for 40 grand for a job on her Hummer. She had a folding chair and even got vinyl cut for the back window of the Hummer describing her complaints. It put the fear in me about both car audio shops and people who get fancy car stereos…

I remember a lady who camped out in front of the local car stereo shop for 2 months with a bunch of big signs about how the shop had ripped her off for 40 grand for a job on her Hummer. She had a folding chair and even got vinyl cut for the back window of the Hummer describing her complaints. It put the fear in me about both car audio shops and people who get fancy car stereos…

Hi 7,
I get it but who spends 40 racks for a personal car stereo? Sounds like Alma Gates at those cost. The comment was just a raz. If you know about car stereo then you know what Charles Schulz, and Japan has to offer in terms of a spl woofers and world class audio competition equipment with balls...... VERY LITTLE.... they are known for head units namely Alpine but thats about it.....

I've worked intimately with people like Hugh Cobb( rockford beta tester) and Jay Lovelace( creative acoustics). Who crushed Alma Gates several times in the worlds loudest. We've dealt with each other for a very long time. My shop would simply turn u away versus argue with you over money. The best line for privately owned shop owners and smart customers who need there radio installed is GOTO BEST BUYS and hang out with the GEEK squad.

I laugh because I've worked there and they hire kids off the street to do stereo after passing a test where all they basically have to know is the components inside a relay....They kept customers old equipment and installed it in their cars. A nationwide "reputable shop" yeah I know all about them. U wont place in a single competition or even rule the local carwash sound off if thats who you spend with. Not to mention what they sale is mid level at best. If you want duct tape wrapped around you radio versus a back strap to keep it in place go there.

Anyone in this business knows if 40 k is spent for anything car stereo you will never get rid of this customer no matter what. Very few "reputable shops" even know what an aperiodic enclosure is. What you typically get is a simple sealed box with unbacked carpet..... and a amp your stock alternator cannot supply. Plenty so called audiophiles ride off into the sunset with a smile on their face with just that and a pair of 6.5s

Yaay!

AFAIC a reputable shop turns away idiotic customers who propose pipe dreams for their cars when they have light pockets and equipment. All money ain't good money and when you work for yaself u reserve to right to make those designations.

Thats life....
Hubert

Were in the middle of one LOL. You don't need to see any more photos than you already have to understand 2500 is a deal for 80 hours worth of work. Do you realize that's a helluva deal at just a little over 25 dollars and hour labor shop charge? And why cant you understand 2500 if a previous poster posted 40,000? You have no questions about that install? Not trying to be ugly but you should ask one of your friends that knows car audio what a custom enclosure runs just by itself. Go get your volvo worked on in any repair shop for 25 dollars an hour. Shops are charging 90-125 dollars and hour. People have to make a living in a business especially car stereo. I can show you jobs that have brought me 10,000 but it wont change the basic understanding of hourly shop charges for labor. Do volvo repair shops warranty their labor for life? I think not. And of course millions of people don't come ready to spend 2500 dollars. Car stereo is not for people that do not have any money to spend. Just like anything else custom people don't come here for what they need they come here for what they want. I dont send out any solicitations or a single advertisement. Every customer that comes here comes based on previous work they've seen and heard in my own cars or someone elses. They track down my number and call me not the other way around. As I said I dont waste time with complaints about pricing or cash etc because thats easily dealt with by not taking the job of someone that really has no money for their dreams. Since I have a real career I dont have to do it and am indifferent to small jobs and problematic solicitors especially. Someone else's financial hardship wont ruin my hobby or steal my joy. If they do not think its worth it they dont have to put stereo in their car. It is really simple.... It should also be somewhat obvious that this car will really be worked on more than 80 hours....the money is a matter of pay as a function of time a photo tells you virtually nothing about the time it took to conceive it. This is another reason Charles Schulz can spend his money at best buys where the installers get paid by the job completed not by the hours they spend so they are inherently motivated to work fast not careful. So you get the duck tape wrap to secure a head unit into your car versus a backstrap that obviously takes more time and allows the cooling holes to actually work on the deck.

There are people and companies in this world that have spent as much as a quarter M on car audio. The kenwood DVD multimedia head unit in the Acura was 1700.00 dollars at the time of its purchase. I have an Eclipse 5302 one of the first decks with digital time alignment capabilities and a 5 volt preout was 600.00 dollars. A dead head will not play a single note without and external amplifier hooked up to it. So For 600.00 in 1996 u didnt even get any sound yet. This is just a cd player no video......

Hubert

Last edited:
@ James
I will ask you to do some investigation for yourself. Get your favorite cd and play it in your factory system. Then take your cd to someone who has set up a car for SQ not spl and listen to that CD. You will be truly astonished when you hear instruments and other novelties in the production you would never even know were present with your factory systems. Admittedly aftermarket car audio has driven the GPS market and car audio in OEM offerings. Factory systems are worlds better now than years ago. My s80 for instance is all DYNE audio from the factory. That's some of Europe's best audio equipment and it isn't at all cheap to purchase install into a car aftermarket. Car audio for me provides the majority of pleasure on road trips other than communication with the family and what your eyes see as you travel. It can also provide some real ambiance on a date perhaps and for some that alone is worth the cash. You'd be surprised that even the ladies appreciate good car stereo versus the tag rattling all over the place and the highs sounding like you got a trunk full of king cobras aboard. I couldn't imagine driving my car all day without good audio.

Regards
Hubert

Back