• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1997 940 Turbo 300hp setup HELP!

Trollhunter

Heya ! :)

my volvo has the 300hp setup

GT30 Turbo
Turbobrick chips
558 Injectors
3inch intercooler pipes
Larger exhaust

My problem is that the car is down on power, its like a volvo 240 with an F engine..
my plugs are white and the car is stuttering on idle, not much but its there, when im driving the car is *jerking* dont know a word for it feels like i have kangaroo gas on the tank.

The last owner ran the exact same setup but with a 19t turbo and the maf infront of the turbo like the engines is original, iv moved the maf to the other side, the last owner ran 1.4bar pressure and the car was QUICK! now i have installed the gt30 turbo, moved the maf and fitted a larger exhaust and the car runs like crap :( any help ??

What i have removed is the whole pipe that runs from the crankcase ventilation and the elbow with a vaccum hose on it and plugged the nippel on the intake, i just stuck an crankcase filter on a small lenght of hose on the crankcase vent... Dont know if i need that elbow with vaccum :/ Its running very lean by the looks of the sparkplugs...

Check maf to see if it got toasted. Not really a problem where it is, i run one pre throttle post turbo no problem but if it tests good it wouldnt hurt to return it to stock just to rule that out. What are your air fuel ratios looking like? You DO have a wideband...right???

I dont use a bov on the car at all, i just got a wideband sensor today so im going to install it this weekend :) When i unplug my maf i get the CEL in my dash and the car almost dies and idles around 500-600. When i cold start the car, it seems to run smoother at idle. Running no bov shouldent effect the engine at all ? or will it ?? Il phost a photo tomorrow, its 03:00 at night in norway now so :p

Well im the *dose* kinda guy ;) There is only 1 bov that i like and thats the RFL bov, i have one of those but its on my S4. Bov is no the problem here.

Get your wideband on it... What flavor plugs are u running? I ran the same setup: gt30, LH2.4 chips. I moved my maf post intercooler with no issues @21psi....

no good post turbo? I was gonna do the same,had good luck in my turboford days.

Each setup varies. But if OP's car was running fine on the same injectors with different turbo it shouldn't be running this poorly, the first thing I would do in the process of elimination is move the maf back to where it was.

I've run a test with one maf pre-turbo and another maf post turbo, both good working units, when I ran the car with maf in stock location for a turbo car it ran great, when I plugged into the post-turbo maf it ran OK but was sluggish and didn't enrich for boost properly. Of course I had already nailed down the tune with the maf in stock location, if the car was tuned with the maf post-turbo it should theoretically be just fine.

Yeah as far as I've seen all the Swede +t guys leave the AMM where it is and their cars are far more ridiculous than a lot of the US guys. Still, I'd move the AMM back to pre-turbo and see if it makes a difference.

You really should be using some sort of compressor bypass. You can probably find an OE style recirc valve from an earlier garrett-equipped 740 turbo or go to the junkyard and find a turbo Saab or mitsubishi and grab the bosch recirc valve off of it. Snapping the throttle closed and having the system back up like that is kinda rough on bearings.

Which AMM are you running anyway?

Maybe lh2.4 is relearning.? The battery must have been disconnected at some point? Car will run funky for the first 100 or so miles... IMO a stand alone ECU is in order with that size turbo to get the best tune out of it.. oh and you get to ditch the AMM.

12952985_10153960025316138_730410724_o_zpsf19juzjt.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here is the car now.

Okay, so big AMM, 016 or 12 I guess.. forget which is which. I know TLAO recommends moving to the big AMM when using his chips, don't know exactly what chips you're using but the 3" is a bonus. I'm surprised you're rocking a factory intercooler with that much turbo.

You know.. I'd hold off on doing any AMM relocation and make sure both fuel pumps are working right. It might be coincidental but it really sounds like you're just underfueled.

Yea thats the problem, the plugs are white and its not getting enough fuel.. its a 97 so its only got a fuel pump in the tank. The stock intercooler is going to be replaced soon :)

Its not gonna be 300 wheel without a generous dyno, sub freezing temps, and a minimum of 22-25psi on the stock IC and manifold..

Back