• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Chesh's 750R Project, and no the 5 is not a Typo

Awesome write up and bloody jealous you get those cars so cheap over there as well as with Manuals, but then again, our cars don't rust out :p

Great write up. far ahead of me in building the 5cyl RWD. I will have to get some pointer from you. It looks like you are not running AC, is this correct? I have not figured out how to run the distibutor yet but I going to try off the front end. Have the M90, ME7, throttle body adapter, and oil pan. Just need some time and a few more things. Anywho, keep us posted.

jt

Parts are starting to arrive, so I need to finish up my engine bay mocking and get the block dropped off down the machine shop.

rodspistons.jpg

Haven't been able to do much on the car for the last couple of weeks due to other circumstances but I have 2 weeks holiday coming up soon so am focusing towards getting everything done in the holiday.

Today I fitted a Standard V6 Roll bar to see if it would give the clearance, looks like we have a winner!!!

v6bar.jpg

It was then time to look at the engine bay wiring, I will be using an OMEX ecu system for engine control so will run a completly separate loom for that, and splice where needed into the volvo harness inside the car, but there are still some wires that need to be kept from the old B230ET wiring loom pictured below.

b230etloom.jpg

I removed everything to do with the motronic system, leaving just the connector thats on the passenger side bulkhead, which carries the Starter motor solenoid Signal, the Alternator signal, the Oil Pressure switch and the Coolant Temp Gauge wiring.

This is what was left and will look nice and factory when cleaned and tidyed on final engine fitment.

engineloom.jpg

I will probably have to change the plug for coolant temp gauge unless I can figure out somewhere to mount the original gauge's sender.

Next I turned my attention to the ME7 inlet manifold, thanks to the casting pictured below the manifold is shifted right about 1cm.

inletclearance.jpg

Out with the hacksaw and voila

cutmanifold.jpg

Now the manifold fouls on the Powersteering plastic return line, so i'm thinking off cutting off the pipe and JBwelding a fitting of somekind directly into the bottom of the plastic tank, which will then allow the manifold to bolt up up without any problems.

Now i'm currently trying to fathom out how to mount the 960 Throttle body to the ME7 manifold. I know i'll have to make a adaptor plate of somekind, but the real fun seems to be getting the throttle spool to open the TB correctly.

I'll put some pics up when i've figured it out.

Last edited:
Nice rods and pistons. I'm definitely jealous. You should consider running an electric power steering pump like sdturbo. I don't feel like mucking around with the tensioner or rad hoses so that's probably what I'm going to run.

Here are the two best pics I have of my linkage:

http://picasaweb.google.com/kbuchka/1979Volvo242/photo#5151148792092312802
http://picasaweb.google.com/kbuchka/1979Volvo242/photo#5179675732218369042
You can enlarge the image by hitting the plus sign on the top right corner.

The second pic sort of shows the adapter. The holes on the manifold were super close to those on the TB so I had to mount it at an angle. The adapter itself is just a piece of 1" thick aluminum plate that I had laying around. I bored it out with a hole saw. :-P

The linkage is a hacked up 850 linkage that bolts to the two stock bosses. I wasn't really thinking straight when I built it, so it's super regressive, which, along with my 6-puck clutch, makes the car a nuisance to start in first.

Nice work Mr Chesh! At the risk of asking a stupid question...what do the ME7 cars have in terms of a PAS pump?

As of this evening, the 360 is in the garage, and the 343 will be joining it tomorrow. It must be the season for it!

cheers

James

Nice work Mr Chesh! At the risk of asking a stupid question...what do the ME7 cars have in terms of a PAS pump?

As of this evening, the 360 is in the garage, and the 343 will be joining it tomorrow. It must be the season for it!

cheers

James

They still have a pump in place, but with a remote resovoir.

I looked into it, but i would need to aqquire all the bracketry for the side of the engine and to be frank a quick session with JB Weld and an fitting of somesort should suffice.

I've started to look into the Electric PS system as sounds interesting, maybe a future project but i just want to get the thing up and running.

Back