• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My 240GLE

Progress...

Needs a small adjustment on the passenger side. Bit too close to the rail.

vmanifold10.jpg

vmanifold11.jpg

So, a little more progress.

wastegate101.jpg

Also bought this...

exploder1.jpg

Removing 8.8" diff and some other bits and pieces for franken-lolvo-stein transplant. The rest will go in the bin.

Slow progress still, don't have heaps of time and money to throw at this at the moment :(

Exhaust clearance, there is heaps! Pretty easy to snake the dump (3" here) around the shock tower and down the rear of the bay. Pretty good clearance everywhere and I haven't even cut the ears off the 4L80e.

dump19.jpg

dump20.jpg

Also started working shortening the pan a little bit.

pan10.jpg

I liked this photo too.

overhead10.jpg

More progress.

Hotside pretty much done, just need to add some flex and wastegates.

pipes30.jpg

pipes31.jpg

Radiator and headlight fits.

headlight1.jpg

headlight2.jpg

And the bonnet closes with about 15mm of clearance from the radiator. Perfect.

radiator21.jpg

radiator22.jpg

radiator23.jpg

Little bit of progress. Made a start on the wiring.

wiring1.jpg

Got the diff out of the Volvo and started work making a jig.

diff21.jpg

Also got the 8.8 stripped down.

diff22.jpg

Ran out of stands so just dropped the Volvo down on the fuel tank. She'll be right. Looks good at this height.

low1.jpg

Here's a bit of an update cuunts

Explorer 8.8 diff tube shortened on one side by 74mm and volvo brackets welded on.
A jig was made so that the volvo mounts could be welded in the same position in relation to the tube axis and perpendicular to the pinion axis. Blah blah it all worked perfect.

Tacking the brackets on with the jig attached:
20150307_105106.jpg

Fillet welding the volvo brackets on with the mig:
20150307_110926.jpg
[/quote]

Put the diff in the car and it's at the exact factory position. We will still need to have top adjustable reaction rods so that the pinion face is parallel to the trans face. We arn't going to bother welding bump stop plates to the diff as the body mounted bump stops are the same radius of the 8.8 tube.
20150424_184657.jpg

Plenty of room :)
20150424_184647.jpg

You can see that the wastegate port is routed off the cross over tube. Close to the rack but it fits.
20150424_180755.jpg

This is the current status. The engine will be fired up soon.
In June the final bit of fabrication will be performed to fit the intercooler and piping.
The final bits and pieces to finish off the build will be arriving from summit shortly.
20150424_180831.jpg

Progress!

diff22.jpg

Stripped the 8.8".

diffjig1.jpg

diffweld1.jpg

Mate made a jig from the old Volvo diff, then transferred the brackets across to the 8.8". Also cut ~70mm out of the tube to make it fit the Volvo (with 2 short-side axles).

diffweld2.jpg

Looks good. Short side axle fits perfectly on both sides, but needed to order a pair of new ones due to bearing wear.

bearings1.jpg

Test fit diff. Fits perfectly, will need to put adjusters on the torque rods to correct the input angle.

bearings2.jpg

Removed the bearings with the wrong tool(s) for the job...

lsds1.jpg

Standard vs. replacement LSD.

susp1.jpg

New suspension bushes and bits ready to go in.

axles1.jpg

New axles and rebuild kit for the diff. Also Transgo HD-2 kit for the 4L80e.

Getting there...

This is how the engine sits at the moment.

engsit1.jpg

engsit2.jpg

engsit3.jpg

Fan clearance will be tight but the ones I've got should do the job.

Well, made some progress. Got all the bushes out after a lot of swearing, cutting and burning. Got the wire wheel out and cleaned up all the old paint, rust and sound deadening which Volvo spray all over absolutely everything. Gave the parts a fresh coat of rustproof paint, put some new bushes in and started putting some stuff back together.

diff20.jpg

trailing2.jpg

I cheated a little putting the replacement bushes in but cutting them down the centre with a hacksaw and pressing them in from either side. I can't see any reason this would cause any harm and saved a lot of dicking around.

Update!

Last test-fit of the diff before modifying torque arms.

volvodiff40.jpg

And assembled with new LSD.

volvodiff41.jpg

This bearing caused a lot of trouble and needed to be removed by force.

volvodiff42.jpg

Adjusters done.

volvodiff43.jpg

Installed.

volvodiff44.jpg

Will need to elongate the holes in the swaybar so it clears the diff cover. The panhard rod also hits the ring gear, so will need to do some modifications there...

Also picked up some Ford AU Fairmont wheels. They fit perfectly and don't look too out of place on the Volvo.

volvowheels40.jpg

Cold-side done.

volvoeng40.jpg

volvoeng41.jpg

volvoeng43.jpg

volvoeng44.jpg

Next up is the brake lines, the radiator fans, shroud and hoses, and then wiring.

Volvo has been pushed outside for the moment. My other car needs a bit of TLC.

Back